How should I limit my son’s iPad time?

Yeah you know my son has been doing that school from home due to the corona. We only have the one iPad to use so you know it’s always a competition. Sometimes I need that iPad for alone time during the day and I’m wondering if his teacher can let him take a break. 

If the school requires work to be done on an iPad, they need to provide one.  But they also shouldn't be requiring several hours of staring at a screen, even with remote learning.

If he's in class and working, you already have "alone time."  If you want (not need) to play on the iPad at some point, wait until he's done with his work.

If the iPad was provided for school, then there's no competition... the iPad is for school. 

Class is based on a schedule. 

YOU will need to plan your time based on HIS class schedule.

The teacher is NOT going to give a break for you to have "alone time" with the iPad during class time.