caren asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 month ago

Steinbeck's Cannery Row says, "While men admire the quality of the first they love the produce of the second?" What does this mean?  ?

I want to translate this into Chinese. As usual, I want my translation to be accurate at all times. 

John P: Right. Thanks. I think your are right! 

That is what it means from the context. I just thought I might be idiomatic. If that's an idiom. I would easily misunderstand it. But I googled it, and couldn't find anything like it. So, I am not sure. Therefore, after your explanation, it is not an idiom and it's a more general usage. As a Chinese native speaker, it's hard to understand the first and second here. But it's more general use, then, I can translate it correctly.

Gigapie: I see! 

"It's more of a general usage".

"It's a more general usage."

Anyways, it's not my language. 

XD

Thanks All.

Favorite Answer

Men think that 'the first (thing, person, etc)' is a thing to be admired, but men love what the second (thing, etc) produces (makes, manufactures, has ideas about, etc).

That is a close paraphrase which might help you to understand what that sentence means. Possibly the lesson is - men think that they should admire certain things, but really go for other things.

Since I do not know the book in general, I do not know whether 'the first' and 'the second' refer to people or things or organisations etc.

The two sentences that come BEFORE this sentence are necessary to understanding it. "The first" means the list of qualities/traits listed in the first of those sentences; "the second" means those listed in the second of those sentences. Like duh.

Presumably nobody said this out of the blue. Presumably there was a CONTEXT. Please provide that context. We don't all have the book to hand.