Exceptional children school help?

my 2.5 year old toddler isn't talking but has been saying few words like mama and mom and dad in a different language and says no he us really delayed but he knows everything I tell him to do he knows his body parts if i say point to your head he points and etc we enrolled him in daycare since June 2020 and goes 5 days a week and his speech therapy teacher said there is a school for disability kids I'm guessing its called  exceptional children? The thing us we Love this school he attends and his teacher very much  and I hate to switch because he's so much happier there then his previous school. I'm not sure if he's the only kid who is delayed then the kids in his classroom but his speech teacher said I have till Oct to think about if I'm going to put him in exceptional school its a hard decision and not sure if I should or not and today was hard for me because I think when he gets older other kids might make fun of my son for being delayed or not talking yet and thinking about it made me cry about it...has anyone sent their kid to exceptional school how is it different?

you don't have to decide in October, October would just be when the school district starts the evaluation process.  You don't actually have to decide until he's about 35 months.

your pediatrician is likely clueless.

typically in the US, special ed preschool is a half day for most kids.  only kids with more severe disabilities go full day.

you can opt for a hybrid program where he gets half day services through the public school and another half day at his current program.  you could also possibly do 2-3 half days at public school and the rest at the daycare.

public schools should have  preschool classes within the local public school system for students with disabilities.   only kids with more extensive needs should be sent to special ed schools.  some kids needs major adaptive equipment or a high level of care, that a public school can't provide.  the private schools are able to have equipment in house as they serve a large number of high needs students. where as its not practical for a public school to serve a limited number of high need.

even with the public school preschools, a draw back is limited opportunity for inclusion, some ONLY service children with disabilities, so there is not opportunity to interact with typical kids.....being with typical kids at least part time often helps with development as the typical kids model age appropriate skills.

start the process of the evaluation.  in most states it takes at least 3  months to process the evaluation and start a placement.  See what age your district actually starts the process (may be age 32-34 months).  You don't have to make a decision on the final placement until the end of the process.

another thing to consider is covid.  personally, i would rather my child not be in 2 different schools, being exposed to 2 groups of people.

depending on where we are at with covid, i would consider delaying transfer to public school a little longer.

are you doing virtual speech now?  you can get speech therapy only through the public school at age 3...although they might fight you on that.

public school is not year year round/has many days off...how does that work with you.  will you need daycare on the days off?  He would just be in the public school for 3 months (possibly with a limited summer program) before the end of the school year.  It may be more practical to just start public school in august/September provided you can get speech therapy only until then.

My son has been placed in a special education program that was run in a school, but in a separate classroom rather than a regular classroom... so instead of being his peers, it was a K-5 room with only children in that program. They still got inclusion time with their peers in a regular classroom but had support of a one-on-one if they needed it. He has also been in a whole separate school building from general education that was divided into K-3, 4-5, 6-8, and then 9-12. What I would recommend to you is that you research, ask questions about what makes the other school a better fit, what would be different, ask about their outcomes when children are old enough for elementary school. Lots of questions. He's only 2.5 years old, "school" at this point should be very similar for typically developing children and children with exceptional needs. I wouldn't think there'd be any reason why toddlers need to be divided based upon ability, the most important thing is that they have loving caregivers, positive interactions with peers, learning how to work together and solve problems, playing. Unless he needs intensive therapies that they current provider cannot provide, then I'd keep him where he is and stave off the stigma of being in a special education program for as long as possible. Because, right now, I can't send my son to any school without him already being labeled, no matter where he's at right now.