Anonymous

Why would my parents force me to go to college if I don’t want to go? ?

They said I’m going next year

Your parents want you to be an educated person. An educated person knows well what is good and bad for him/her. So, my dear friend, obey your parents' command then you'll shine in life in future.

• Ludwig

Are you the Professor?

They want you to have good future and think pushing you is helping, and you need a degree to have the better edge but for some careers you don't. 

You have to respectfully talk to them and say I have to chart my own course no matter how how hard."  

• April

To me it sounds like they think you have no direction in life. Having a degree in a useful field definitely gives you a leg up in the competition. Have you expressed interest in a career that doesn't require an advanced degree? There's a lot of work options available.

College isn't for everyone, but you do need a realistic plan to support yourself. If you're not sure what to do, take a gap year and see what jobs you can get/how you can climb the ladder. If your parents know you have a goal it might get them off your back for awhile. 

If you are a minor, your parents are responsible for you unless you are taken by a court or legally emancipated by a court.  Yet they still cannot force you to do anything.  They might yell or coax or threaten or entice you to comply with their wish you go to college, but they can't force you to go to college. 

If you are an adult, then move out, get a job, and get your own place. 

All that said, what kind of fool would turn down four-years of dorm & frat & sorority parties, football tailgates, beer-bongs, binge-drinking, & food, rent, wifi all paid for by Mommy & Daddy's dime? 

Toga!  Toga!  Toga! .... 

They cannot "force" you to go to college. They can encourage you to do so; they can threaten to take away their financial support if you don't go; but you can always say "no." You're probably a legal adult, and even if you aren't quite 18 years old yet, no college is going to admit you if you tell them you don't want to go, or deliberately do poorly on admissions tests, of fill out the application pretending to be really stupid. 

• John

You don't really give enough information to tell.  I have noticed there seems to be 2 different reasons behind this kind of family issue. 

In the less serious instances, the young person is some combination of lazy and/or without plans for the future.  In those cases, many parents will either demand the graduate either go to college or to work.  

Much more difficult is the situation when a responsible young person has a desire to work full-time, or learn a trade, and start a career, but the parents don't like what he wants to do with his life.  They instead demand he go to college, and enter some sort of career of their choosing.  Needless to say, that is a recipe for long-term family problems. 

If you have other ideas you need to tell them, 

but you can't expect them to pay for you.

they feel college will help you.

• GA41

So that in 10-years, when you are working at Burger King making $10/hr., you will not regret making a bad decision about your college education.