do you need to have a degree and/or go back to school to become a work from home freelance writer?

i am wanting to become a freelance writer that works from home but i need to know if i need to go back to school and get a degree and have experience to become a work from home freelance writer so does anyone know if this must happen if i want to be a freelance writer that works from home or is there any way i can become a work from home freelance writer without having experience or degree and going back to school 

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

You don't need a college degree or any qualifications other than complete a short writing course. However, it might take some years of continuous writing, researching, and reading many classic novels from the past to improve your knowledge and vocabulary.

• 1 month ago

In order to do so, you'd better have excellent knowledge about what you want to write.  That might - will demand  a great deal of research. Not so easy.

• 1 month ago

Not necessarily, no. You do need to be good at writing rather you went to school for it or not.

• 1 month ago

No, the companies I've worked for have never asked to see a diploma, but they have asked to see text samples.

Before you go into the business, I would recommend that you time yourself and see how fast you can write a text on any given topic, how well you can stick to a set word count, how much time you need to proofread your text etc. As a free-lancer, you are usually paid per word and the hourly rate can become very low if you're slow, or if you take on a text that requires a lot of research on your part.

Knowing SEO writing will also be in your favour.

PS. Capital letters and punctuation are your friends. Use them, especially when asking a question like this.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Cogito
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Not necessarily, but you DO need to be very skilled at using the English language - and your question shows us that you do not.  Your English is very poor.

• Andrew
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Writing is not like driving a car or practicing medicine in the sense that you don't need to have a license to be able to do it, but the requirements for working freelance as opposed to being salaried vary depending on what it is you're being paid to write. 

I often take on freelance jobs that I hear about through networking. While none of the people hiring me have ever asked to see my degree, some have asked for a sample of writing - likely to ascertain whether or not my style is compatible with what they're looking for, but also to gauge whether or not I'm worth the money. 

What you are asking here clearly shows that you don't know enough about this industry to even begin to think about attempting to earn a living from it. Having a degree in a particular discipline does not necessarily mean that a person is automatically qualified to earn money from something related to that field. There are many people out there with a degree in Fine Arts or Psychology who don't get paid to do anything that's even tenuously connected to either of those things. 

Your issue in particular is this: Your writing is awful. Nobody would pay you to write anything. 

Having a degree can be a requirement for a writer looking to sign on with an organisation because that degree proves that he or she has learned the writing process and has the dedication, determination and diligence to see something through to completion. People who want to work freelance might be expected to provide proof of their credentials when it comes to education or experience, and if you don't have a degree, you'd obviously have to pass on any job where providing proof of having earned one was part of the process. You'd also be earning less money because unless your reputation precedes you - which I can guarantee you it won't, you won't be able to justify asking to be paid at a rate similar to someone who's got better credentials. 

Judging by the quality and content of your other questions, it seems as though you're looking into becoming a writer because you don't want to be around people - you're awkward and you find the idea of sitting at home to be paid for what you perceive to be easy work very appealing. Writing isn't easy and you wouldn't be able to feed yourself doing it - definitely not if you plan to write in English and probably not in your own language either, whichever it might be. 

Then again, not having a degree, your options are going to be fairly limited to begin with. There's not much anybody can do in a developed country without higher education. The only option would be to learn a trade - one where you work with your hands. You certainly won't be working from home, but rather than doing a proper 4 year degree you might be able to spend that time doing an apprenticeship for carpentry, plumbing, locksmithing, etc., but you'd never catch up to native speakers of English who are lifelong readers and have been writing since their age could be expressed using a single digit number. 

Writing is never a back-up plan when the rent needs to be paid and the cupboards are bare. 

• With your current writing skills, you may be able to write click-bait articles and get paid about 5 cents per article. Look at sites like freelance.com for such work.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Before you even think about becoming a freelance writer I strongly suggest you learn punctuation and grammar. That entire paragraph was a long run-on sentence rife with errors. No one will hire you with such poor writing skills. The lack of a degree would be the least of your worries.

• 1 month ago

There are no educational requirements to be a writer. But you DO have to know your subject(s) and how to write a coherent piece.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.