What kind of legal consequences are my friends in for?

My friends own a youtube channel where they have gained notoriety for catching predators and pedophiles, then recording their faces in order to put them on youtube and then reporting them to the police. 

However, they recently went to a grocery store to catch another "predator," and they harassed him and put his face on youtube, but they just recently found out they filmed the wrong guy and he was in fact innocent. The guy is a mayor in a different city. People started attacking them in the comments on their video and sending them death threats and the guy is threatening to sue, even though they've taken down the video and posted an apology one. What is going to happen to them? He's threatening to "shut them down" on social media and take away their platform. 

• Foofa

YouTube might demonetize them. But your friend's peril is probably just civil and not criminal. He won't go to jail but he may have to defend himself against a civil lawsuit (and pay large settlement if he loses that). 

Apparently this vigilante fantasy never grows old.

Yes, if any of this is true, it's defamation.  Yes, they can be sued, they can be arrested if enough people take it seriously, they can be "shut down."

So you dropped out of the group that you've previously boasted about?

My friends own a youtube channel where they have gained notoriety for catching predators and pedophiles,

FLAT OUT LIE. Notoriety and trapping predators are incompatible.

In addition, posting their photos on YouTube before the police investigate GUARANTEES the won't be convicted.

I don't know why people think it's okay to "catch predators and pedophiles" on their own.  Tell your "friends" to deactivate their YouTube account.

I'm all for  exposing  peadophiles hang em high i say. But to be accused and have your face on the net I would sue his butt off