Frank asked in PetsDogs · 1 month ago

what is the tastiest dog food?

My spoiled Pomeranian won't eat his dog food. what is the best? 

• Rusty

Pomeranians are the worst.  He'll eat when he gets hungry.  If he goes one day two days without eating, just make sure there aren't bugs on his food and he has fresh water.

Raw or home cooked food is not necessarily better. It costs more money for the ingredients, is time consuming and often requires you adding supplements because some ingredients aren't always easy to come by depending on where you live. And it's important to due, not only a balanced diet, but one specific to your dogs needs. My dog requires a high protein and high carb diet (they normally require high protein low carb). My vet put me in touch with a nutritionist to schedule her food. And it's important you know what you're doing or you'll end up with an ill dog. Just wanted to throw that out there in case you had considered that.

I would ask my vet to advice me on what food is best for my dog, it's age, activity levels and also any supplements if necessary. If you give a good food you shouldn't need any supplements. Then just put it down in a clean bowl (I say clean because some people don't wash their dogs bowls frequently and they think it's the food the dog wont eat). choose food in the 4, 5, 6 star category.

If after 20 minutes the dog doesn't eat it. Pick it up. Refrigerate it and nothing else until diner time. Keep repeating it. If after 3 days the dog is still refusing to eat, see a vet and dog's wont starve themselves to death.

Fresh caught raw is of course

Get a big strong American Staffordshire bull terrier. Mine eats anything. Be tough get a pit.

Unspoil him.  Chose a dog food & put it down for the dog.  If he doesn't eat it, leave it there until he does.  He won't starve himself if there is food.  Adopt the attitude that if you don't eat what is put in front of you, then you don't eat at all.  He will get hungry enough to eat.  Just stay away from canned food.  Tough love, for him benefit.

• A.J.

Dry food kibble must be stored in airtight containers. It loses aroma.

Wet food from fresh opened cans.

In switching foods, it should be first in mix converting from one to another. They get upset stomachs easily.

This site gives ratings:

https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/best-dog-foods/

Part is what you want to spend.

https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/best-dog-foods/best...

There are a lot of reviews out there, and brands sometimes change their formulations. Here is a picky eaters guide:

https://www.dogloversdigest.com/dog-food/best-dog-...

Your Veterinarian is your best source of info.

Feeding raw or homemade is dangerous.  Three of the dogs my Vet treats died over the summer from tainted homemade food.

If you can afford it you might consider making your own for him. In that way, you can offer him a much healthier diet because you choose the ingredients rather than some dog food company. There are many videos on Youtube that show exactly how to do it.