Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsWeddings · 1 month ago

Do we NEED to have bridesmaids/groomsmen?

Update:

I don't want a courthouse wedding. I want a normal wedding where there are normally bridesmaids, but I don't want them. Make sense?

Update 2:

along with the bridesmaids/groomsmen, do we also NEED to have maid of honor/man of honor? because i don't want those either. just guests.

22 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

No. They are not necessary. Some just chose to stick with tradition.

• 4 weeks ago

No, you don't. They're a tradition, but we didn't bother and it worked out just fine. 

• John P
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

From a legal point of view, you need only have the couple and two witnesses in Britain. Other countries probably have similar legal requirements. Parents of bride and groom not needed if b + g are over the legal age when parental consent is needed.

After that is is your choice - you can have friends and family and bridesmaids etc as you wish.  Social pressures might dictate otherwise!

Covid restrictions in the UK now limit total numbers of family, guests, etc to 15.

• 4 weeks ago

A wedding is a celebration. You do what YOU want on that day. A bridal party is just tradition, not a requirement 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Kelly
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

No, they are optional.

• Rick
    Lv 6
    4 weeks ago

it's YOUR day, so do what YOU want !!!

• drip
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

No you do not need them.  Anyone who saw you get married can sign your marriage license as a witness.

• 1 month ago

Nope - they're entirely optional. 

• Foofa
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

No. They used to be necessary because they served as the witnesses. But a typical formal wedding these days has plenty of witnesses and you no longer need bridal and grooms parties to be in that role. 

• 1 month ago

Not at all.  Just someone to witness your signature

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.