Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 month ago

Politically speaking, is it wrong to use the word "retarded"?

Favorite Answer

It's one of those words that has long been in the dark grey area of the politically correct vocabulary .

There are lots of words like this . We "can't"  say people are  "fat" etc anymore , or even "short"  , we have to find other words that are more acceptable .

One of my own favourites involves the police ,who invariably refer  to finding someone that was "deceased" on scene , rather than simply dead .

It would be nice to hear other people's favourites .

As with any descriptive word, it's that attitude behind the word that makes it acceptable or derogatory. The word "retard" is used in fields to indicate a slowing of a process. The word was used to describe "slow" learners, but then was used in a derogatory manner to make fun of. Since "any" work can be made derogatory, it makes sense to curb the attitude rather than avoiding words (with a few exceptions).

No because retarded people exist.  To act like they dont exist is insulting and offensive they need our attention and guidance 

When I grew up we only referred to people as "retarded" behind their backs. It seemed so much more genteel to call them "backwards" to their faces. 

• Isabel

Yes.  It’s hurtful and demeaning.

Yes definitely. It’s a derogatory term for people with a learning disability. So is the word ‘idiot’ but it’s used so often on TV and mainstream media as many don’t understand what it means.  

i think its wrong

Not in Boston.

"No, I haven't had breast implant surgery! That is so retarded! I'm 16. My mother would never allow it. But I am pleased that people are paying attention to my chest."--Lindsay Lohan. 

Being gay is retarded.