Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 month ago

Politically speaking, is it wrong to use the word "retarded"?

27 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

It's one of those words that has long been in the dark grey area of the politically correct vocabulary .

There are lots of words like this . We "can't"  say people are  "fat" etc anymore , or even "short"  , we have to find other words that are more acceptable .

One of my own favourites involves the police ,who invariably refer  to finding someone that was "deceased" on scene , rather than simply dead .

It would be nice to hear other people's favourites .

• 1 month ago

As with any descriptive word, it's that attitude behind the word that makes it acceptable or derogatory. The word "retard" is used in fields to indicate a slowing of a process. The word was used to describe "slow" learners, but then was used in a derogatory manner to make fun of. Since "any" work can be made derogatory, it makes sense to curb the attitude rather than avoiding words (with a few exceptions).

• 1 month ago

No because retarded people exist.  To act like they dont exist is insulting and offensive they need our attention and guidance 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

When I grew up we only referred to people as "retarded" behind their backs. It seemed so much more genteel to call them "backwards" to their faces. 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Isabel
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

Yes.  It’s hurtful and demeaning.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Yes definitely. It’s a derogatory term for people with a learning disability. So is the word ‘idiot’ but it’s used so often on TV and mainstream media as many don’t understand what it means.  

• 1 month ago

i think its wrong

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Not in Boston.

• 1 month ago

"No, I haven't had breast implant surgery! That is so retarded! I'm 16. My mother would never allow it. But I am pleased that people are paying attention to my chest."--Lindsay Lohan. 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Being gay is retarded. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.