Shark
Shark asked in Home & GardenGarden & Landscape · 1 month ago

I have a leaning tree in my backyard it is very healthy but it leans towards the neighbor's house.?

if there is a big storm it might fall on the neighbor's house - will I be responsible for the damage?

my homeowner's insurance tells me this would most likely end up on your plate so cut him down

Favorite Answer

You will likely be responsible. Check with your insurance company to see if your homeowners policy covers such events. So do under the liability clause.

• L

YOU, as the responsible party, need to do something about this; prop the tree up or trim it back to where it does not lean anymore.  

• CB

"When a tree falls over onto a neighbor's property, that neighbor should submit a claim to his or her insurance company immediately. The insurance company is usually responsible for taking care of the damages. This is true if the tree fell over due to an act of nature."

• Generally, if the trunk of the tree is on your property, you are responsible for ensuring that the tree is not dangerous.  If you think there's a chance it might fall in a storm, get a tree surgeon to check it out.

i would hope not