Anonymous

Is it justifiable to help a kid cheat on his SATs and college admissions essay if he’s disabled?

• HMFan

Aside from the morally corrupt nature of the question you pose, the larger question is: will you ALWAYS be there to “help him out” when playing by the rules is inconvenient or his life circumstances become difficult? Part of getting through life is learning how to adapt to and work with the cards that we’ve been dealt in life. Depending on what this kid’s disability is, cheating will not teach him how to navigate the world. He should be given the means that allow him to compete fairly but it is NOT justifiable to misrepresent his abilities/knowledge. That is known as “fraud.”

• dizwar

Since you say "cheat" rather than "assist" (i.e., customizing a desk or keyboard for someone with physical difficulties), I assume you mean providing answers to test questions.

I'm sure you mean well, but it would be an unintentional form of insult to the student.

In other words, it would be tantamount to telling the student, "I don't have faith in your ability to find your own way through life on your own terms."

Schools provide trained professionals who know how to help with special needs. Consult them and see what they say about options for the student.

Best wishes to both of you.

• garry

no , the college allows for disable people , they have volunteers to fill out forms and tests for them. i knows so , as i am disabled .

No.  It's stupid.   Why not help him cheat to get into and through Medical School?   and then be his first surgery patient?

He won't last in college, and he will probably be told to leave. I suggest you don't help him.

I was challenged, but in a different way, for me to get into college, and I passed on my own. I didn't have any help. I went into a small room, and I did the college's challenge, and after I finished their challenge then I was accepted into college.

I didn't have to do an essay. The college I attended challenged me in a different way, and, for me their challenge was easy to do.

• fcas80

Why stop with his SATs?  How about on his driving test?  How about on his income taxes?

If it is a legally recognized diability, the SAT test takers will permit reasonable accommodations.  If he's blind, they will make an alternative version of the test available.  And so on.

No. Why force someone into something they are really not equipped for? Why force them into failure? They still have abilities, talents, something they CAN do & be successful with. Encourage them to develop & use their abilities, instead forcing them into something they are not suited for.

• DON W

Cheating on the SAT is difficult, and illegal.

Helping a kid with the admissions essay is more or less tolerated.

• drip

No, it is not. 

• Rick

no, because you COULD get him into a school who's standards are TOO HIGH for him to attain ....................