Why is my knowing about your wife and kids so important?

At work or even with friends, why does everybody get mad if I don't ask them or care much about the narrative of their lives? We do our job and make a fart joke from time to time and go home to... our wives and kids. Why should the guy you see for 5 mins a day be concerned about what car your kid is thinking of buying or every other pointless, superficial, transient moment of your pointless life?

• Foofa

In a typical workplace it's not. But families consume a lot of time for those who have them so often they're not able to keep up with other things or have other things to talk about. 

Any time you are asked a question, answer with this question...Why do you want to know...they will never expect that...just walk away after you tell them that, sooner or later they will stop bothering you.

It's part of the "friendship" in the workplace.  If everyone there is pointless, superficial and lives a pointless life, I'd find a new job.

It's not the 'knowing' that's important, Mike, it's the feeling that you're interested enough in the people that you work with to show a modicum of inquiry and curiosity. It's shows interest, even if you don't actually have any.