Why is my knowing about your wife and kids so important?

At work or even with friends, why does everybody get mad if I don't ask them or care much about the narrative of their lives? We do our job and make a fart joke from time to time and go home to... our wives and kids. Why should the guy you see for 5 mins a day be concerned about what car your kid is thinking of buying or every other pointless, superficial, transient moment of your pointless life?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Foofa
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

In a typical workplace it's not. But families consume a lot of time for those who have them so often they're not able to keep up with other things or have other things to talk about. 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Any time you are asked a question, answer with this question...Why do you want to know...they will never expect that...just walk away after you tell them that, sooner or later they will stop bothering you.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

It's part of the "friendship" in the workplace.  If everyone there is pointless, superficial and lives a pointless life, I'd find a new job.

• 1 month ago

It's not the 'knowing' that's important, Mike, it's the feeling that you're interested enough in the people that you work with to show a modicum of inquiry and curiosity. It's shows interest, even if you don't actually have any.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.