Kevin asked in PetsDogs · 1 month ago

Why do a lot of older and elderly people with dogs get mad when their dogs bark?! Then why do they simply have dogs to begin with!?

They simply don't know what to do about the barking.  They are not dog smart.  It is their ignorance that prevents them from training the dog to stop it's excessive barking.

I am elderly & I have a dog that barks at anyone or anything she sees in her visual territory.  I encourage it.  She runs the front fence line like a junkyard dog.  Barking & slobbering at the same time.  Lots of the foot traffic walk on the other side of the street.  Every once in a while I get free agitation by some of the idiots that walk down this street.  Makes her even more intent on that front fence line.  I may be an exception to the rules but hey, this is my life.

I have always wonder that myself.

You would need to ask those specific people.  No one can answer for them.

If they have small dogs who can live 15-18 years, they might not have been OLD or elderly (feeling/acting)  - when they got the dog......do the MATH~!

As an example, Marie Osmond (very pretty, very active) is 60 years old.  She could get a dog today and be a very different person in 15 years ...... at age 75.

Small dogs are often spoiled & yappy, but bad behaviors are often ignored in them - but would be corrected in larger dogs.  It is easy to be embarrassed by a dog with little to NO training  -once the dog reacts & you (the older person) are not in your normal SOLITUDE.  It's like the question - are fat people fat, if nobody can SEE them?  So, if the elderly person's dog makes a nuisance of itself - it quickly becomes obvious they did a poor job with it (or have ZERO control) and that become a very PUBLIC personal failure & embarrassment.  

Old people don't notice THEIR dogs unless it is set off by the neighbours, it is those foreigner's dogs next door or down the street, or in the apartment that is constantly doing the Barking.

Woof woof woof woof woof