Adam
Lv 5

Am I better to back up photos & videos long term to a flash stick or external hard drive? Any recommendations?

I’m moving away from cloud storage as I want to get out of the Apple ecosystem and look at something more permanent.

I’m just not sure what I’m best to use. Something which won’t break or corrupt after 5+ years.

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

There are no guarantees, although I have some flash drives 10+ years old with no problems and one external hard drive that's 15 years old and doing fine. I suggest to back up to at least two devices if the photos are important to you. Having a third option, cloud storage, can be invaluable if your physical devices were ever damaged, such as in a fire.

• Bill-M
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Back up your files to an External Solid State Hard Drive.  To be safe, use TWO SSD's and keep one off site in secure storage.

• David
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Apple doesn't have the monopoly of cloud storage, there is Microsoft one drive, google drive, pcloud, idrive, zoolz, dropbox, box, sync.com, icedrive, polar backup, the list goes on and on. They are still the most secure place to store your data, they have built in redundancy, automatic failover, none of which can be achieved with hard drives or flash drives without complicated hardware or additional software.

So I wouldn't recommend flash drives or hard drives as a permanent backup.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.