Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetInternetYouTube · 1 month ago

Will google own youtube forever?

Eventually it will have to be in the public domain, right? But then it will just shutdown. What happens to things like Youtube when copyright runs out? Could the government take over running it?

Update:

But wouldn't the name "Youtube" at least go into public domain eventually?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 weeks ago

The public should own Youtube.  Corporate greedies want a hold on the people's database of life.

• John P
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

In this world, nothing is 'forever'.

• 1 month ago

Copyright exists separately on each item uploaded. 

The whole site would not be public domain until the "newest" video was somewhat over 70 years old; ie, nothing new had been created and uploaded for a good part of a century.

• 1 month ago

If I uploaded a video to YouTube today and then died immediately afterward, under current copyright law, it wouldn't enter the public domain until September 19, 2090. And if a company uploaded it, it wouldn't be in the public domain until September 19, 2115. Your question requires that YouTube still exists in 95 years, but that everyone who uploaded to it died in 2020, and that the meaning of public domain became the complete opposite of what it currently means. Public domain means that anyone can do pretty much whatever they want with it, including putting it on YouTube.

There MIGHT be a role in a government archiving and preserving the content on YouTube for future generations, but that doesn't require any change in copyright status (the Library of Congress can archive works still under copyright) and it wouldn't require taking over or nationalizing the company itself. 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

If your real concern is whether some videos you've placed there will 'live forever', then I suggest you also create a backup somewhere. Although I doubt youtube would disappear without a lot of advance notice.

• Lv 7
    1 month ago

why would it need to shut down just because copyright has run out? there are many NON-copyrighted materials on YouTube...

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.