Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetHardwareLaptops & Notebooks · 1 month ago

My loptop has a 2 gb ram and a 4 gb in it, how does that make sense? ?

And please answer this question too, which setup is provides better performance? 

1.I buy another 4gb ram with the same specs and mix it with the 4gb it already has... 

2.I buy a 8gb ram and mix it with the 4gb ram

my laptop is a lenovo z50-70

i opened it up and it had two ram slots

something i dont understand is they dont recommend two rams with different memories so why would they put a 2gb ram and a 4gb ram in it?

and you didnt tell me which setup would provide more speed?

8+4gb or 4+4gb?

i would really appreciate any answers

thank you all in advance

Maximum memory for the lenovo z50-70 is 16 gb.  So, supported would be 2 sticks of 8 GB.  I would match the memory upgrade Can't tell you why yours was mismatched, everything I find says they should be a 'matched pair.' if you have the resources, get 2x8GB and your system should work great!  If you can only afford one stick, match it to the 4, so 4+4, though to be honest, you'll see a better performance with 16GB.  You can try the 8+4, as it will be better than the current 2+4, but I'm not sure the performance increase would be that noticeable.  if you do, always remember to put the fastest memory in the #1 slot.  check the manual to identify this. 

Somebody upgraded it with a mismatched module. Not the best idea in most cases, but not confusing in any way.

Since you didn't provide any information about your "loptop," I can't advise buying an 8 GB RAM module at all. It might not be compatible. Buying another 4 GB module that matches the one you already have would allow dual-channel operation, which would slightly improve performance. Combining an 8 GB + a 4 GB module (if even possible on your computer) would be better for certain workloads, like databases, but probably not anything you'd be doing.

EDIT:

"something i dont understand is they dont recommend two rams with different memories so why would they put a 2gb ram and a 4gb ram in it?"

Like I said, SOMEBODY upgraded it with a mismatched module. It probably didn't come that way from the factory.

"and you didnt tell me which setup would provide more speed?

8+4gb or 4+4gb?"

Yes, I did. You're deliberately being obtuse.