How to sell a car? ?

I’m selling my car on offer up and Someone wants to buy it. I know that I’ll have to put take the title off of the car , how do I do that? How do I remove my license plate? What should I do? 

There is never an upside to ignorance and incompetence, so read, learn and remember. Your state DMV website undoubtedly has a webpage that explains how to transfer a title to someonew else. I suggest that you find that webpage and read it too.

.

So, do you actually have the certificate of title in your posession? If not, you cannot sell the car until you do. Does the title have your legal name on it? If not, you cannot sell the vehicle until it gets titled in your name. 

.

If you have the title in your possession, it has instructions on the back about transferring it to a new owner. There are a few spaces of information to fill out. At minimum this will include the odometer reading and whether it is actual mileage, estimated or unknown. There there will be a space for the name of the buyer, and one for your signature and the date. Some states require that your signature on the title has to be notarized and that will be stated on the title. Presumably you have heard of a Notary Public and can find one without help. 

.

It's also wise to make out two copies of a Bill of Sale stating your name and address, and the buyer's name and address, the make, year, model and color of the car, the VIN number, the price, how it will be paid (cash, cashiers check, other), that the car is sold as-is, where-is with no warranty and that it cannot be returned after the purchase. Also get both copies signed by the seller in the presence of a notary. Keep one for yourself and give the other to the buyer.

.

As for removing the license plate, that's really the height of rocket science. It probably requires just a screwdriver. On some cars you might need a socket wrench and an open ended wrench if it's bolted on. If this is beyond you, get help. Also be sure that in your state the license doesn't stay with the vehicle when it is sold. In some states it remains with the car. 

.

Finally, most titles have a strip at the bottom that is removeable that you put the seller's name and address on with the date. You tear it off and mail it to the DMV. This notiffies them that the vehicle has been sold and absolves you of any liability.  If the title lacks that feature, then you';d be wise to visit or call the DMV and tell them your car has been sold. Also contact your insurance company and tell them too. 

Agree on a price with the buyer, sign your title and hand it over, and get your money then and there. Laws can vary between states in the U.S..

In my state it involves very difficult tasks. You have to sign and date the title and get a screwdriver to remove the tag. Do not try this alone. You absolutely need a team of consultants because of the level of complexity.

Some states have a release of liability form to fill out & mail in. That is even tougher as it involves addressing and mailing an envelope with postage.

• Jay P

Yahoo is universal but transfer of ownership varies from state to state, province to province, and country to country.

I suggest at least mentioning where you live and looking online for the governmental agency that handles vehicle licencing where you live.