Is an iPad a good idea to use as a drawing tablet for a 12 year old girl. ?

My niece wants a ipad to use for drawing. I am not tech savvy and wonder does iPad make tablets just for drawing? I worry that it’s just a regular iPad with art apps on it and the iPod has become a problem. My sister complains to me how much she is on the iPod and I think getting her an iPad is stupid and unwise to let he be at the mercy of the internet. I think one of those drawing tablets would be better but what do I know. Has anyone had experience with drawing tablets? What are your thoughts with her on the iPad. I think she’s too young And that an update is inappropriate. I know she loves her iPod for reading manga but I worry about some of the stuff she reads about. I worry that the iPad would just make things worse. That’s the pic she sent our mom that she wants but we both worry that the iPad will be abused. My niece is a good kid but she is going through a hard time with her parents divorce so I understand why my sister wants to do something that would make her happy but I think a drawing tablet would be smarter. 

What kind of "drawing pad" are you talking about? If it's digital, it would need to be connected to a computer anyway.  There goes your division from the internet, plus it's an added expense. If the kid is actually strong in her drawing skills, giving her digital access with an iPad could be a really good idea at this age. If she's still practicing and developing basic drawing skills, she should be not be working digitally until her skills are better developed (IMO). If mom is worried about internet usage, she needs to monitor her daughter, not prevent her from dealing with real life and making good decisions.

An iPad is an excellent tool for drawing with.

But your fears are justified, because it will do so much more than just act as a drawing tablet.