Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 1 month ago

Meal planning help for picky eater...?

I'm pretty picky but my boyfriend and I definitely need to start eating better. He's not picky, but I am, so I need help with some recipe ideas.

My first goal is to LOSE WEIGHT, and then to get fit.

I enjoy:

kale/fruit/vegetable smoothies

chicken/duck eggs

salmon/steak/pork chops/baked chicken/chicken fajitas/chili

baked potatoes

spaghetti squash

goat milk/almond milk

cauliflower/peppers/green beans/peas/cucumbers/corn/watermelon/cantaloupe

I'm not AS picky as I used to be, but still kinda!

Do you have any good sources for meal planning that will help us and not overwhelm us?

I've been eating more pear cups, fruit cups, and smoothies as snacks.

I also like bananas, strawberries, blueberries, kiwi, salami, deli ham.

Pear cups and fruit cups are packaged in a heavy sugary syrup so while you think you are eating fruits you are also getting a lot of sugars.

Load up you meals with steamed vegetables, they will fill you up without adding lots of calories.

• John

I'm no diet expert but some advice I've heard is don't snack. My wife and I eat 3 meals a day and that's it.

I don't think your list is especially picky. I could see you branching out and being more adventurous if you stop calling yourself that, too.

www.allrecipes.com has recipes and advice for absolutely everything. I will give you one singe recipe from there because you like corn. It's a real winner. I'll add that I've never made it with canned corn, we always cut kernels off the cob. This being September that's getting harder to do.....

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/18906/awesome-an...

• kswck2

It is not so much the kinds of foods you eat, but how you prepare them. 

For example: Bake chicken rather than frying it. Steam a vegetable rather than boiling it. Cut back on the sauces-sometimes just a pat of butter is much better for you then a Mornay sauce (cheese sauce). 

Lots of leafy greens. Try a marinated tomato salad if he doesn't like lettuce. 

Don't use a microwave for actual cooking-it is fine for reheating or defrosting. 

Fresh fruits are fine, but don't add anything like sugar to them. 

Learn about fruits and vegetables you have never heard of before. Go to an Ethnic market with pen and paper. Write down the names of things you have never seen before. Come home, look them up. Then go back, buy some and experiment on how to make them. I have learned to cook with many 'Asian' fruits and vegetables this way. 

Your food choices in that list are not that bad.  Most of those are "healthy" enough.

The main issue may be servings size or eating too many fruits in one day.  

Sure, fruit is "good" and only has "natural sugar", but too much sugar in one day is still too much sugar even if it is the "good" kind of sugar.

Work on learning correct portions for what you eat and then add an activity to your lifestyle - for example, make taking a 30 minute walk part of your daily routine.  Anything that puts your body in motion is "exercise" and can help with weight management.  A fast walk will also raise heart rate and help even more.

EDIT - Eating "fruit cups" might be a bad choice depending on the amount of ADDED sugars.  It can be almost as bad as a candy bar.