Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 1 month ago

It's annoying when my boyfriend brags. How do I get him to stop?

My boyfriend's family has always been obsessed with physics and making sure each of their relatives pursue a career in science. If any of them slacked off or chose a different career, they were immediately ostracized. My boyfriend's brothers all grew up to become professors with several phd's in other fields. My boyfriend would constantly have fights with them over their difference in career choices because he was never as passionate about science and they questioned him for that. 

But he has had success in starting up his own business and selling his own energy drink. The sales quickly took off and now he's making more money than his brothers. However, he keeps bragging about it to his family and every time we have meetings with them, he's constantly building himself up to be the "genius of their bloodline." Those are the words he used. It was funny at first, but now it's getting annoying. How do I tell him to stop?  

i dont think you can tell him to stop

blahhhhhhhhhhhh

He is getting them back for what they did to him. If  you do not like it, dont go with him to see his family...Pay back can be a bit*h. MYOB

You don't 'tell him to stop', or 'get him to stop'. You let him know that it makes him look silly and desperate TO YOU, and that it might make him look that way to his family as well, and then it's up to him whether or not he stops.

He's probably trying to make up for the embarrassment of you thinking the degree is a phd and not a PhD.

The brothers ALL have multiple PhDs?  Sorry, I call troll.