aria asked in HealthOther - Health · 1 month ago

I had a nerve block and I was restrained??? Was it really necessary? My doctor didn’t tell the nurse to restrain me.. I’m kind of mad/ sad?

Hi all, I had a nerve block yesterday I had a Stellate ganglion  block which they inject in your neck... I remember I was anxious but not like full blown panic attack just. my bp was 150/91 oxygen heart rate was 118 they gave me versed and the doctor came in to inject Novocain well that hurt so I kind of whimpered in pain. I remember my hand fell down the table so my doctor put it back and was holding onto it for a minute or so... then he started injecting me but i think i was talking so he told me not to talk i May have started to move my hands to my stomach area but i don’t remember too well all i know is that then they strapped my arms down in restraints and i felt trapped! Then after a few minuted the nurse got my arms and crossed them on my chest and she was restraining me with moferate pressure not light I mean it was uncomfortable. This has never happened before she didn’t tell me she was going to restrain me so when she reached for my hands i tried to pull away. Anyways it all went well and I was calm not agitated but I don’t think it was necessary to restrain me I’m kind of mad about that she could have just told me to hold still! This was the nurse restraining me with the doctor present I didn’t hear the doctor telling her to restrain me I’ve had 2 nerve blocks before and I haven’t been restrained this way they’ve just told me to stay still and not move. Was it really necessary? Can nurses restrain whenever they Need or did my doctor signal to her non verbally

Liz that totally makes sense you are right thank you

• Liz

If you were moving your hands, then it is probably policy to have the nurse restrain you if you weren’t able to stay still. The nurse has probably assisted on lots of nerve blocks with your doctor and knows what the doctor would like from doing so many of these procedures. Moving during a nerve block is really dangerous and can cause paralysis. She was trying to protect you.