Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentGovernment · 1 month ago

Told hospital and insurance company 2 different stories?

I was in a car accident a few months ago. I had to get stitches and my teeth fixed. I panicked at the hospital and lied and said i got into a 4 wheeling accident because i was not supposed to be with the guy i was with because i didnt want my family to know. My friend filed a claim and now my insurance company wants to help with the bills i had. Is this fraud if i told the hospital a different story? 

They are going to call the hospital about the medical bills. I didnt mean to do this in a malicious way.

• Judith

No.  As long as the insurance company, which is doling out money, has the correct story there is nothing you need to worry about.

Fraud is criminal deception.  You were treated at the hospital and you would have been regardless of the story you told them.  You didn't gain anything from the hospital because of your lie.   You didn't commit a crime at the hospital.

If the insurance company becomes aware of the deception they will investigate and determine whether or not to pay damages.