Best red wine for beginner red wine drinker? ?

I love port, and sangria with red wine. I tend to like sweet/fruity things. Any recommendations ? (not for food pairings and nothing expensive, just to drink down any average bars)

Thanks

• blank

I love siuttter home sweet red wine.

• kswck2

If you like the sweet varieties, you might like a fruity dessert wine.

• If you like sweet, then start with Grenache or Grenache-heavy merlot blends.  Red zinfandel is another option.  

• I like cabernet sauvignon because it has a deep, rich taste. It goes very well with beef, even a hamburger.

Welch's since you're obviously not old or mature enough to drink.

You should develop a taste for Merlot and/or Malbec.  These are not sweet wines but they are also not dry. 

Pinot Noir is nice and light, and honestly, pretty good served slightly chilled. You can also try red blends, or sweet reds (also blends), or reds meant for chilling. I've been drinking wine for years and one of my cheap favorites is from a brand called Relax; $9.99 and I pop in the fridge. It's just a cool red, nice and the sweeter side.

Bogle also makes pretty good wines for a good price, and I like all their reds (I HATE MERLOT). Zinfandel is a lot lighter than people think it is, and once you get used to sweet and want something heavier, this would be a good inbetween to get you into some cab's or Syrah's (my personal favorite), if you want. I drink red by itself mostly, unless it's with a good steak. Whites I pair with food all the time :) And nothing beats some red and some yummy chocolate!