How effective are the masks from COVID-19 protection?

I like to wear blue surgical masks as they offer the most comfort for wearing. Sure it does feel odd wearing it in the hot summer especially when it is humid but for that, I give myself the ice bucket challenge lol. Well ok not exactly but pouring a bottle of cold water onto myself. I do wash my mask almost daily and I replace it every week. My question is that are they as effective as the media says or are we still as vulnerable to catching the virus whether we wear a mask or not? What do you think about not wearing a mask when you have no human around you or they are at least 10 feet away from you? I always like to wash my hands, now I wash them for 30 seconds. Also, does it make sense to wear a mask inside of a car?

You're doing everything the right way.  Keep at it.  I do the same as you.  I wear one in the car only when I'm not alone.

I wear a mask when I’m driving because it’s good practice. It’s just a reminder that I should have a mask on when I’m not at home. It also reminds me not to touch my face. 

You’re not supposed to reuse surgical masks especially after you wash it. Water destroys the integrity of the mask. If you want to reuse your surgical mask, use a UV lamp to sterilize it. 

It’s really effective if everyone wears a mask. The more people that wears it, the safer it is for everyone around. Try blowing out a candle (normal candle, not a birthday candle) with a mask on. Not easy to do. 

They’re pretty effective for airborne diseases and aerosols. They’ve been used to prevent many diseases that spread through way of mouth and nose. As long as your mouth or nose doesn’t protrude from said mask you should be okay. I work for Amazon to check up on corona-patients and I’m able to prevent catching it if we both wear a mask and stay social distanced.

Yes, masks are effective at halting transmission of the virus.  When around people you should always wear one, but it's not necessary when you're driving by yourself.

Masks only help if you’re already sick from getting other people sick. And even then it’s marginal. Those N95 masks that they want you to not buy people that actually needed them had them? Marginal effectiveness. Wearing a bandanna or something made of cloth? Doesn’t work at all. Surgical masks? Won’t stop you from getting sick; may help Other people from getting infected by you But again only marginally effective. Some masks actually make it worse by aerating When you cough or sneeze even more.