Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 month ago

Are blue heelers the hardest dogs to train? Or to not want to kill a feral cat in a tree, wild animal, or a turtle? ?

You should have done some research on Blue Heelers before you got one.  This is the true nature of the dog.  Herding dogs are a handful to handle.  They aren't dumb, just supper hyper.  But if the dog has a high prey drive you may not be able to stop the hunting.  More & more BYBED dogs are having rather high prey drives.

• Maxi

No......... they do tend to have a high prey drive and good owners will use that drive to train them something useful/fun that is safe for them to do and that starts with good obedience skills, teaching 'leave', 'wait' and 'recall'......I find  channeling their drive into teaching agiity, flyball can really help..... the last one I trained came to me as it chased bikes, skates, prams and cars and wasn't too happy about being around/near other dogs either one of things I taught was for it to skate board ( and it was very good) owned by a family who had a teenage boy who liked to skate board himself and thought the family dog was a nuisance........ I often see them now both on their own skateboards  and the dog totally ignores others on skateboards ( or any other wheels) as it has its own job to do and his  anti social element around other dogs was 'cured' by teaching flyball having to focus and be part of a flyball team with dogs crossing each other and another team also playing alongside... he turned out to be one of my best competition flyball members, took time, patience and lots of practice but certainly worth it.

Lots of breeds have HIGH PREY DRIVE.  Some dogs within certain breeds have more drive than others.  Heelers are not the hardest breed to obedience train - for sure, but as to prey drive - that is a more individual thing and may pertain to the circumstances in which it is being displayed, esp if you got the dog to protect a flock.  I would assume deterring prey drive in such a dog would be difficult, especially if the dog has little to no FORMAL obedience training, first.