Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 month ago

Why does my dog lay down all day and looks depressed?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

why are u too cheap to take him to the vet

• 1 month ago

Could be that your dog is just bored and needs more to do.  Or something more INTERESTING to do. 

But please start at the vet for a wellness-check, especially if your dog seems uncharacteristically lethargic or despondent.  Your dog might be in pain or might have an illness you don't know about -- dogs are really good at hiding both, and they can't talk or tell us what hurts or if they feel sick.  Injuries and illnesses can most often be treated, but you can't know what to do or how to treat it unless you know what's going on.

If the vet says your dog is healthy (I hope so), it's time to look more closely at your dog's daily routine and what you can do to make his/her world more engaging.  Most dogs really LOVE having a job, in other words something he/she is expected to do every day and looks forward to, even if that's just a short walk to the mailbox (that was my little-old-man dog's job right up until the day he died) or to fetch his dish and bring it to you for feeding time or check the garage for intruders (sometimes you have to make this stuff up!) or go outside and inspect the perimeter of the fence (because those squirrels -- you just never know with the squirrels!) or go check out the bark on the trees!

Dogs need mental exercise as much as physical, and they THRIVE on both routine and new experiences.  They are also exceptional at following something you point at, so just saying, 'LOOK!' while pointing at darn near anything (whether that's some raw chicken thighs you dropped on the floor [DID THAT] or something the dog has never seen before), it's something interesting and the dog was not expecting that, and therefore it's FUN.

• PR
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Maybe bored? Take him for rides and even to home supply stores like Lowes or Home Depot, which allow dogs in the stores. Pet supply stores also of course, allow dogs.

Take him for walks; play outside with him; play games inside with him such as hide-and-seek (really); hide toys for him to find; get bones for him to chew on; begin an agility course with him; take him to the dog park; teach him tricks. 

If none of those work, try getting him a friend such as a nice dog or cat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8FfNQ_E0l0

Youtube thumbnail

• 1 month ago

This is the first site from me googling your entire question.

This kind of behavior typically means one of two things: illness or injury (with depression falling under the “illness” category). Dogs that suddenly hide or want to be left alone behave that way because something is bothering them. If it's not physical, it's likely emotional.Oct 25, 2019

Warning Signs Of Dog Depression | Is My Dog Depressed ...www.cesarsway.com › warning-signs-of-dog-depression

For more information, google your question.  Call & make a Vet appointment first.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

A good question for your vet, if this is a new behavior.  Dogs can develop health problems which can cause depression & lethargy (often due to pain) or to lower than normal levels of activity due to lower than normal thyroid hormones and/or due to aging.  Best to rule out any medical basis for this behavior, IMO.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.