Question about police cars?

Do police cars have souped up internal features that you don't see in normal civilian cars? Are the steering wheels positioned slightly differently for example?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • M.
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Do police cars have souped up internal features that you don't see in normal civilian cars? YES 

Are the steering wheels positioned slightly differently for example?  NOT THAT I KNOW OF. 

-General automotive mechanic since 1972

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Interceptor engines was in FORDS(which is most police cars) which is an engine that was not available to the public. Probably better suspension made for cornering, bigger brakes, better tires that civi's could get if they were willing to shell out the  COIN for them. Maybe a special transmission too. And a roll bar and different electricals because they have different lights.  Steering wheel is standard stuff.

(I know they need that guitarist out front that shoots flames out of his guitar like on FURY ROAD. just to be exciting.

Now they find that Radioing ahead is faster than you will ever be (speed of light) so your asz is grass.  They also fly plane so can do long stretches of lonely road and radio down to a car nearby and you are caught that way.

Or Helicopters.  They got the tools, and infrared camera's.  They are keeping up with the CRIMINAL ACTIVITY

They also have DRONES with cameras so they can pinch you.  High speed car chases is no longer necessary.   The drone camera or a road side camera has a good enough zoom lens to catch your license plate number and they come right to your house.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Inside a police car, it looks like a regular car.

however there is a partition that separates the back two seats in the car with the front two seats, and that partition is metal and has a glass window with thick tempered glass.

There is a police scanner radio mounted at the bottom dash, and a 'CB radio' which is tuned to police frequencies.

Then you see a long rod bolted into the floor that leads to a small table in the car, and on the table is a laptop.

Then you see a gun holder near the gearshift with a 45mm gun there, and then all throughout riding in one you will hear policemen over the radio. 

• 1 month ago

I don't think they do anymore.

In the past Ford made a special engine called the Interceptor. It was a 460 built just for law enforcement cars. Later they put the engine in pickups.

Ford made cars with features that would be beneficial in a police car. That's why in the past most police cars were Fords.

They don't do that anymore.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • F
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Not from what I’ve seen if police videos on TV. Americans favour big heavy sedans that seem to be good for ramming but are out run by most SUVs and trucks.

British police seen to favour either high spec BMWs that they seem to be forbidden to damage so they always leave roadblocks with an exit for the crim, or they have the Vauxhall Astra diesel that has trouble chasing down mopeds.

• 1 month ago

In the US car makers who supply police cars make what is called a "P" code build. At least the "P" code is the one that Ford used.

It does contain special features, ranging from duct work to the air intake box to suspension modifications and possibly chassis reinforcements. I am not sure if they have a different ECM or just a flash to the stock one. But often there are a few tweaks to give a little more to a lot more power.

But it is not like when I was a kid and you could tell a police car by the unique sound of the exhaust.

No, there is no special steering wheel or position for the steering wheel.

One other note- the "P" code model also was often the model taxi cab companies ordered because of the suspension modifications.

• CB
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Read all about the differences here-  http://www.proctorcars.com/difference-between-poli...

• Scott
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Usually they have heavier duty electrical systems, cooling systems, suspension and brakes because they are often in use 24/7.

• 1 month ago

They do but not sure ab out the steering wheel. Most cars have adjustable steering wheels anyway.

• Rick
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

nope, just features from the standard line that make they go fast better ................  YOU could buy one if you wanted .............

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.