Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingParenting · 1 month ago

would you regret doing this as a parent? ?

imagine this scenario. you kick your kid out of your house and make him get his own place and be independent for tough love. Later, he wins the lotto and tells you you will not be getting any because you kicked him out. He also tells you, if you had allowed him to stay, you would get some cash.  how would you respond?

• edward

He’s over the age of 18.  I love my job, i don’t want to retire quite yet.  I didn’t buy the winning ticket, and if he’s going to be a jerk about it he’s not learning his lesson.  I would’ve kicked him out to teach him the value of a dollar, not to be mean.  If he can’t see that i don’t want his money

• LizB

I don't need his money so the attempt at emotional manipulation wouldn't work on me. However, I would ask him if he wanted the number of our financial advisor so that he could invest his winnings and actually grow his wealth, rather than doing what most lottery winners do: pi** the money away and wind up broke again within a few years. I would also rather strongly encourage him to talk to our tax preparer so that he knows how much money to set aside for taxes and isn't blindsighted by how much he'll end up owing.

No regrets.

---------

• helene

I'd say "whatever." It's not as if I would ask him for money anyway.

• Cathy

Was he 16 or 35 when I kicked him out? I wouldn't have anything to say - it's his money and he can do what he wants with it.