Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social ScienceSociology · 1 month ago

Why do people find being good boring?

I'm 24 and I always try to be good in every possible things.

Following laws

Respecting women's & everyone

Using no abusive/bad word

Being Vegan (Avoid animal abuse)

No drink, No smoking

respecting parents

Trying my best to not hurt anyone emotionally.

And then peoples find me boring and it hurt me a lot

• Even

Only boring people themselves think that. Good people are not boring. 

• Verity

Because if everyone was good, we wouldn't have operas (soap or otherwise),

or country music!

Being a good person isn't boring, if you are also interested in other things, like world politics, gardening, sport etc...  Or have lot's of special interests.

Other than cursing like a sailor and enjoying the taste of flesh, I am like you.  I have had as much alcohol in my lifetime as most people have in one night at the bar, never done any drugs or smoked, I try not to break the law for the most part (I speed sometimes and have downloaded movies... the scandal!). I visit my parents twice a week, and more.  It definitely turns some people who I don't know well off.

However, people don't tend to find me boring because quite frankly I am charming and an extrovert and because people look up to me for what I've done.  If I throw a party, everyone has a damn good time.  Also, I kind of look like I could belong to a biker gang and am heavily and openly into BDSM.  I think those things give me an "edge" that most people think is pretty cool.  It's kind of funny because in my vanilla life I'm a professor and statistician/research methodologist, which is about as nerdy as you can get.  

• Bobo

Having a good character is a goal that everyone should strive to achieve.  It is not easy and it does not have to be boring.  It will put you on moral high ground and give you the inner peace that most people cannot achieve.  I would add that honesty with yourself about yourself is the most important aspect of character.  People will disparage you for your character though, because deep down, they envy people with good character and will do anything to make themselves "feel" better about their own lives.  Do not pay attention to these people, they are the ones who make you believe that being good is boring.  

The world is not very good to nice people. Goodness is not universally respected. Many view it as weakness. Nevertheless, you should be proud of conducting yourself as a gentleman because you are better than most people.

Don't change that, but do take a look at your attitude ABOUT that.   Maybe you are coming off as a goody two shoes.   What people need is to feel that you can relate to their sufferings.