Benefits of becoming a pilot after completing bachelors in mechanical engineering.?

Hello,

I am a fresh graduate (B.Eng Mechanical engineering) and now I'm looking forward to step into aviation and start from PPL. I want to know, in near future, does me being a pilot and an engineer would be of any help to me.? Or is it good combination of skill set and certification.?

Does me as an engineer would help me to go forward in aviation field of work.? Or would it be useless if get into aviation.?Thank you.

• FanMan
    Favorite Answer

Would it be of any help to you in what way?  It depends on your career goals.  Being an  engineer helps understand aircraft systems and the mechanics of flight.  Being a pilot helps you with background if you're working as an engineer in an aerospace company.  Neither are necessary. 

If you like engineering, work in that field while learning to fly, get your PPL and fly for fun.  That's what I did, and I enjoy flying way too much to want to turn it into a job, and my engineering career pays for my flying addiction.

You don't want to get into aviation for the job opportunities right now. There are none. Granted aviation schools will tell you different, because if they don't, they too will have to shut down. That being said, if you want to go into aviation for the shear pleasure (and hopes of tomorrow's …) engineering is an excellent assist. Especially if you're well versed in fluid dynamics; which is what aviation all about.

• Fred

At the moment aviation is not a good career to get into as something like 80% of passenger planes are parked in deserts and many pilots out of work.  That means aircraft engineers are not working either as few planes need work.  I just saw a story on the news where most of the Asian airlines have parked the majority of their planes in Central Australia where it is dry.  They said the big Airbus A380 aircraft likely will not have enough passengers for 3 years to be worth operating them.  Likely freight aircraft are still mostly flying but I am sure there is no shortage of experienced pilots desperate to fly them.

Sorry to disappoint you but it looks like the aviation industry will not be a good employer for about another 3 or more years.

• Dick

The benefits from flying after getting an engineer's degree, would be that you had a place to spend all your money. Flying is just as expensive as booze, women and gambling. I'm not sure it's any more satisfying

A college degree and perfect vision would let you go to military for flight training.  There you would get the best instruction.  Recommend you concentrate on multi-engine transports.  That would be preparation for commercial passenger or freight large planes.

Or, as others suggest, be an engineer to earn enough to pay for lessons, then become commercial pilot.  There was going to be a pilot shortage, but the virus postponed that for over a year.

Or continue in engineering and join a flying club where you can rent their planes.  Or save for your own.

I took engineering courses, got a degree.  I went into the Navy, then OCS in Pensacola for flight training 52 years ago.  I bet it is different now.

Peking Boulevard. 

Let's make it a parallel: does being a taxi driver benefit someone who just graduated from automotive mechanics technical class?

The only way being a pilot and an engineer would improve your situation would be if you were a test pilot. Test pilots have to know how to fly an airplane even outside of the normal flight envelope, and be able to articulate the flight qualities in engineering terms.

Otherwise, the two skills are essentially orthogonal to one another.

Piloting skills might give you something to fall back on if the engineering career does not work out.

Airlines prefer applicants who hold bachelor degrees or higher, but it doesn't really matter what discipline the degree is in. Your specific degree in mechanical engineering has no useful application for being a pilot other than giving you a profession that will allow you to earn the money required to become a pilot. Your engineerring education will also aid you in getting through the technicalm portions of the written exams.On the other hand, if you were to apply to a firm that manufactures or modifies aircraft instead of becoming a pilot, then a degree in mechanical engineering would be highly useful and holding a PPL would show an employer in that field that you are interested in aviation.

It depends upon what your aims are.

But yes, any aircraft mechanic who has a current PPL will have a much better understanding of what pilots are reporting as problems than a mechanic who has never had any stick time.

If you’re looking to progress into aircraft design and manufacturing or even towards being a commercial pilot, then that’s going to be a really poor choice for at least the next few years. 

With airline fleets shedding thousands of staff, aircraft manufacturers cutting their production to a trickle, and with a constant supply of ex-military aircraft mechanics leaving the services, there are going to be a *LOT* of highly experienced and fully-trained mechanics looking for work fixing and maintaining private aeroplanes.

By all means, get a PPL if you want, just for the fun of it. But you may want to reappraise your intended career choice unless you decide to sign up with the armed services to fix and maintain their aircraft. 

The additional skills and training you get in military service will give you a *lot* more career opportunities if the aircraft industry hasn’t picked up by the time you’re discharged.