How To Remove Nail Polish From Carpet?

My mother came round to stay for a few days. She dropped a small bottle of nail polish onto the spare bedroom carpet. The nail polish is dark red, the carpet is cream coloured.

She immediately blotted it and tried warm water with no effect. We've tried acetone to remove it. It's helped on the lighter marks marginally. I read an interesting article https://spotcarpetcleaners.com/blog/how-to-remove-... but it's better to find out who did it and how you did it without damaging the carpet.

Any other suggestions?

Nail polish remover and a lot of clean rags will clean it up eventually, but you would be better off buying a quart of acetone at the hardware store since you are going to need a lot to get it all cleaned up.  Nail polish remover contains primarily acetone and acetone is MUCH cheaper at the hardware store.  Pick off as much of the dried nail polish as possible with a pick before using the solvent.  Saturate a rag with acetone and let it sit on the nail polish for about 10 minutes before trying to blot out.  Acetone is 10 times more flammable than gasoline so do not use around any sparks or open flame.

Nearly white carpet with a red stain? From fingernail polish.?   IMMEDIATELY WITH ACETONE ON ANOTHER WHITE CLOTH AND RUB LIKE MAD AND MAYBE SOME WILL COME OFF ONTO THE WHITE CLOTH.  The remainder is IN the carpet FOREVERMORE SO BUY SOME OFF WHITE LATEX PAINT AND DAB IT ON THE SPOT OVER THE RED TO CHANGE THE COLOR CLOSER TO THE CARPET COLOR.   Then rearrange furniture around to cover over the spot.

OR set fire to the house.  I do hope you have fire insurance.

If it was me I would think about patching, which I have done successfully using a bit from the turned edge of the carpet. The success of that depends how easily you can get to the back of the carpet, how old it is and how different the colour of a spare bit is going to be.