Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsMartial Arts · 2 months ago

My 59 year old uncle has claimed he participated and fought in 4 top secret martial arts tournaments around the world ?

ever since a kid he would show me stuff like his martial arts certificates with gold badges on them,  old swords, shields, you name it he showed me lots of stuff.

im now in my early 20s and I am doubting this man, and thinking he must be a fraud because whenever I asked him for photographs he would laugh it off and tell me that anybody caught with a camera 'in those times' would get their head chopped off and put on a spike by the Emperor and Founder of the tournament.

He said he fought in a remote area of the Fiji Islands back in 1981, Kerguelen Islands in 1984 where he was badly injured before returning to action in 1991 and entering a tournament held some place in Brazil.  His last tournament was in 1995 which he won by piercing his opponents chest with his index finger and removing the heart (still beating) and showing it to him.

what I find bizzare is, he shows me his martial arts skills and moves but I've yet to see him use them in real life, i.e in self defense or in an actual fight.

He says his skills are far too deadly to be used against the common man and that he would be jailed for life if he did use them against someone.  He did say he'd use them if somebody tried to harm me or the family, but whenever he says this the bullshitometer readings go off the charts.

without hurting this guys inflated ego and feelings,  and without breaking his heart telling him his tournaments were all 'in his head',   how can I break it to him that hes full of s*** ?

• Riki3

Tell Uncle Frank.D, we know the truth lol

Tell your Uncle that all those strikes and knees to his head has caused some memory and brain damage. And you are worried abt him and he should go and get a check up by his doctor.

• F

Jackanory, Jackanory !

Hmmm... let's put this stuff to the standard sniff test.  Top-secret tournaments (the classic Kumite), secret societies, fight moves that seem almost unbelievable to the common individual, all accomplished in remote exotic locations where anyone with a camera would be killed and eaten by fellow competitors.  Does any of this sound like the plot of a low budget Van Damme film to you?  

Why yes, yes it does.  I've studied Kung Fu and Karate Do over many years, taught by accredited instructors, and never once have I been invited to even a slightly-secret tournament to prove my technical skills in combat.  A whole lot of totally public tournaments yes, but not even one secret event.  And neither has anyone who studied with me or instructed me.  My favourite instructor (Sigung Gi, trained in China and certified master black sash by the CKKA) knew all the textbook forms and maneuvers, but was extremely proud of the fact that he had never been in a fight in his life.  He never claimed to be better or tougher than anyone else, and he often said "Watch anyone with a black belt close a door on their thumb, and you'll see exactly how tough we are.".  

I was reminded of Gi's teachings when I watched Kung Fu Panda, especially the scene where he learns that the secret ingredient is that there is no secret ingredient.  There is nu one-inch death punch, no Dim Mak, no Chi Ball, and no The Force.  

As for your uncle, just let it go.  He's only a few years away from the Old Folks Home, it doesn't cost anything to say you believe him, and it's not worth all the stress of calling him out on his outrageous claims.  

• Bon

You have one of those eccentric uncles that like to tell tall tales, but what is the point of calling him on his BS? Do you seriously think after all these year he is going to what? Snap out of it and live in the real world?  The most powerful lies are the ones we tell and delude ourselves with. 

And, yes, there is no doubt he has been BS'ing you. That part about "...he won by piercing his opponents chest with his index finger and removing the heart (still beating) and showing it to him." is an old BS story I've heard variations of starting more than 40 years ago.

• Steel

I'd ask if your uncle is Frank Dux, but he's much older than 59.

• Imp

Bruce Lee: Showing off is a fools Idea of glory.

Let him have his fantasy unless he's bullying people or putting it in every conversation it's harmless. 

And will telling him help boost your ego even more.

Really what does it matter in the end, other then embarrassing him and boosting your ego it severs no point.