Anyone ever have ear wax removal?

I'm positive I have a build up of ear wax in one of my ears. It feels full, like it's draining, hurts, and I have occasional ringing. I'm going to my doctor tomorrow to have it looked at because it's driving me crazy. 

Has anyone had ear wax removed and does it hurt?

Favorite Answer

I could be wrong, but your problem does not appear to be ear wax build-up, but a congestion problem instead. If you're not draining, you're experiencing pain, or you feel dizzy, that's usually an ear congestion problem. Ear wax problems usually start by limiting your hearing due to excess wax, and possibly using a cotton-tipped swab too deep into your ear. 

If you're not draining properly, you may also experience pain in your forehead, nose, and ears. These areas are all connected, allowing you to drain into your throat, which can lead to a sore throat. If any of these areas are not draining properly, you get sinus headaches, ear aches, and a stuffy nose. If it gets worse, you can develop a sinus infection or an ear infection. Then, you will be prescribed antibiotics, usually along with a decongestant. If you feel like you're not draining, tell the doctor. If you're running a high temperature, you may already have an infection. 

When I've experienced those symptoms in the past, I would take a nasal decongestant with pseudoephedrine and acetaminophen (Tylenol) for pain. You can buy them separately or together. Please note: pseudoephedrine, either by itself or in a combination tablet or syrup, is only available behind the pharmacist's counter, because it is considered a controlled drug. You don't need a prescription, but you do have to be 18 years old with a valid, non-suspended drivers license to purchase any medication containing pseudoephedrine. It works so much better than normal over-the-counter decongestant ‎phenylephrine. 

If you do have a decongestant of some type at home right now, I would take it along with some type of pain reliever like acetaminophen or ibuprofen. But, do take it with a solid meal. Don't take it on an empty stomach. Decongestants can be hard on the stomach. I always chew four antacid tablets before taking any decongestants. 

I remove the wax in my ears myself regularly, using over-the-counter wax removal kits. Essentially, it's peroxide-type drops you place in your ear one side at a time for 10 minutes, then gently flush it with warm water so the wax flows out. The drops slowly dissolve the wax. If the doctor does the ear wax removal, it doesn't hurt unless you've got something else going on in your ear. It's usually painless, but it can feel weird. 

Good luck--see what the doctor says.    

• Hi there!! I did have my ear wax professionally removed last year. I had ALL the symptoms that you're having and it was so impacted and it wouldn't move at all so the doctor had to use special tools to take it out. For some reason, I produce a ton of earwax and I was dumb enough to use Q-tips and accidentally shove a ton of wax deep into my ear. You will feel so much better after it's out!

hey ,if anyone else wants to learn about treat foot pain try Imforda Cure Foot Guide (Have a quick look on google cant remember the place now ) ? Ive heard some great things about it and my mate got amazing success with it.

You can get an earwax cleaning kit at your local pharmacy.  They are cheap.

No, I just had it done and it didnt hurt at all, but it felt slightly weird, but it was nothing. however, I had it done in the past by a doctor who didnt know what the hell they were doing, and it hurt like hell. it is NOT supposed to hurt, so if it hurts unbearably, tell  them to stop and ask for someone else. 

Yes, Lose of hearing is a symptom.

Annoyingly painful, as the DOCTOR vacuums out the debris. All the poking of the tool into the canal.

• Matt

i have had it done and it doesn't hurt - the dr squirts some warm water in your ear and the wax comes out like a wad of wax and fluff. it feels and sounds great once it's done