Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsAstronomy & Space · 1 month ago

Will Venus be harder to do research since it's so hot compared to a cold planet like Mars?

You know, hearing about the discovery of phosphine on Venus got me thinking.  If billions of years ago Venus and Mars had liquid water with a dense atmosphere, is it possible impacts from those planets can throw biological materials into space and that could find it's way to other planets like earth?  Conversely, could impacts on earth also throw biological materials into space and somehow made it to Venus and adapted?  I've always wondered if there was any truths to Panspermia.  I'm NOT saying there is a alien world on Venus with advanced life but it's interesting with the discovery of phosphine on a close planet.  I read that cold planets are easier than hot planets to send probes for research.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

We have had a lot more difficulty examining Venus than Mars because of the harsher atmosphere and higher temps, so the answer is yes.  I suppose the "will" part is open to discussion, because we will probably be able to eventually construct and engineer to minimize the problems, so the actual research won't be harder even if making the appropriate probes will definitely be.

As to the idea of life being ejected from one place and landing on another, that is open to speculation.  It hasn't been demonstrated.  It sure does seem plausible though.   

The same issue arises with the presence of phosphine that arises with the presence of many compounds that can be made by life: they can also occur from inorganic processes, especially when dealing with quite different P-T-X conditions from those on surface earth. (P-T-X means pressure-temperature-composition).

• 1 month ago

Yes, biological materials can be thrown off another planet to earth and off earth to other planets. We don't know if this has actually happened or not, but it is possible.

Venus is much harder to explore than Mars. The heat and pressure on Venus would distroy any probe that landed there. We need to find a way to send a balloon like probe that could float in the upper atmosphere of Venus. 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

A few probes have survived on the surface of Venus for a few hours.  Then the ultra-hot high pressure sulfuric acid wins.

• Zirp
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

yes, probes don't last long when exposed to Venusian temperatures, 90 athmospheres of pressure and sulfuric-acid-rain

Source(s): wikipedia
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Not with a solar powered drone with a panoramic HD camera.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.