If someone gave you a FREE AR-15 pistol, would you keep it for your safety?

I not want AR-15 rifle, much less pistol version of it. If someone gave me such a thing, I would sell it. I want much larger caliber for self-defense. 5.56 mm. is varmint cartridge, not for humans or deer. 

• Mr.357

I doubt it would be for my safety, but I would probably keep it.  My son built an AR-15 pistol.  It was in 300 Blackout.  It was OK.  After he got his Form 1 he put a butt stock on it and made an SBR.  Then he built a Form 1 30 caliber suppressor and put it on the SBR.  He also made a 458 Socom with a 10" barrel upper for his SBR.  He has not decided whether to build or buy a suppressor for the 458 Socom barrel.  Both work well for short range shooting and are nice and compact for transporting.

• Phil

I would just keep it.  I have plenty of other tools to use for my safety.

AR pistols are LOUD and throw a huge fireball.   Loosing your hearing and blinding yourself after the first shot will get you killed by the partner of the guy you just wounded.

But they are fun when you want to annoy the others at the range enough to leave and give you the range all to yourself.

No, I would not keep it for my safety. AR-15s are rifles, but you could put pistol grips on one and shorten the barrel. I use bigger caliber pistols for self-defense. The .223 is a varmint cartridge, so it is quite inadequate for defense against humans. If someone gave me such an altered gun, I would sell it. Many people like AR-15s, so I should be able to find a buyer quickly. 

No,  I would sell it and get something that does not jam up as much.   

• Megumi

No, I  would trade it in for a larger caliber handgun for self-defense. 

I would keep anything of value that I got for FREE (legally), but then few things are actually free in this world.

PISTOL ???  I think you have your guns confused, AR-15 is a rifle platform. Some builds have pistol grip and short barrel,(SBR) about as close as it gets to pistols.

I had to qualify with M-16 and some variants so not really impressed with AR-15.

Yea, I would take a free one if not stolen.

My 1911 gives me all the safety I need.

• Matt

For my safety? No. AR pistols in my state have to be neutered to be legal and aren't practical for personal protection. But I most certainly would not turn away a free gun looking for a home as long as it was acquired by the seller legally.

• mokrie

AR 15 is a rifle NOT a pistol. And your darn right I would keep one.