Jimmy asked in HealthDental · 1 month ago

Getting a cavity filled next week?

PLEASE HELP ME I was this week for a checkup at the dentist and he found a cavity on one molar back tooth and I am so scared please help me with the information of the procedure step by step exactly what to expect from walking in to the dentist office till I love with much more details possible . Is it painful ? Is it scary ? Will the injection hurt ? Will the drill hurt ? The noise ? The taste by the filling and drilling ? And I am scared if I will swallow pieces of the drilled tooth is it a problem and also how will I able able to open my mouth for so long ? how long does it it take? give me as more details as possible I should know what to expect thanks PLEASE HELP ME 

• hihi!
    Favorite Answer

Gel does little good. Ask if he can give you nitrous oxide. Laughing gas. It was a godsend for me as l dislike injections in the gum. Gee,we all missed the swallowing bits (harmless) cleaning the decay "drilling" is done with some 400,000 rpm handpiece. You likely won't get a vibration from it, and being numbed with anesthetic, LIKELY won't feel anything. Bits of tooth or old filling may fly about and I think that is horrible!! But nowadays, many dentists use a rubber dam to isolate the tooth and that helps things stay out of the rest of the mouth.

The modern plastics used for fillings are light cured and give no taste. "Painless" can not be promised with any dental procedure, but most cases you will not have any discomfort. 

If it is difficult to keep your mouth open or it is far in the back of your mouth, a "bite block" will be placed between your teeth to help hold your mouth open with no effort on your part. 

We can't make notes anymore, but Mamawisdom only said one thing I disagree with. I worked with a "looser" dentist as opposed to uptight. He would seldom take time to talk to patients "...I'm sorry, he can't speak with you, Mr. Smith; dr.s treating a patient..." as he writes on a slip of paper, "just get him in Thursday" I continue "Mr Smith, we have an opening Thursday at 9AM." ...then "no, nothing is available after 2PM" (paying children will be needing after-school appointments and we will not fill THOSE times for just LOOKING at you). (do not repeat words in parentheses)

Sarcasm aside, it can be impossible to speak directly with some dentists. A good office assistant can answer those questions. Good, mind you. (there I go sarcastic again...)

All in all, you have good answers on here. Relax. One thing modern dentistry has done is made the treatments more agreeable with regards to discomfort.

• Bec

I've had a couple of fillings and not been numbed for all of them - I guess it may depend on deep, what tooth, what filling.

You may be able to ask for numbing gel first (tastes like bubblegum - I was allowed this for teeth removal for a brace but not for my fillings).

The injection hurts as much as any injection does (like a normal jab) but feels weird because it's in your mouth. Depending on the tooth/area you may have an injection in the front and back of your gum - I found the back (nearest the toungue) more painful - but it only hurts whilst it's being done. You then wait 5-10 minutes for it to effect (you may be send back into the reception area). Once your numb, you won't feel any pain.

It's not scary because you can't see what's going on. Have you ever had any treatments such as descaling which involve normal loud dental noises? If so, it's just like that.

The dental nurse will use the suction thing so everything gets sucked up that.

The taste - erm difficult to describe. I sometimes find going to the dentist can taste slightly metallic. And I can often taste the gloves if that makes sense. But it's not hugely unpleasant.

Opening your mouth for that long - the actual filling time isn't that long so it's no more than a thorough check up or a descaling.

Once it's filled, the dentist may ask you to bite down on it and see if you can feel any lumps and bumps (like a raised bit in your tooth) - if you can, that bit can be filed down a bit to make it level with your tooth.

Oh, and they may use this torch thing which is a blue light that feels hot (I was given some very sexy orange plastic glasses to wear whilst they did this) - I think it "sets" the filling or something

And once it's done, the top of your tooth may feel flat and shiny and taste a little odd for a while). You may be advised not to eat or drink anything for a couple of hours (probably to let it set fully).

First the dentist will numb the area with a local anesthetic.  This is done be injecting your gums with a needle.  (as a kid, I found this very painful).  Then the dentist will drill the tooth.  During this time here will be a suction in your mouth to catch any bits of tooth.  After that your tooth will be filled.  The whole procedure takes anout 30 minutes.  Good luck.

• Tavy

Dentists numb the gum area with gel then put in a needle. Painless.

He drills the tooth, noisy. The Nurse scoops up any debris with a sucker, painless.

He fills the tooth.

End off

Less than 10 minutes.

Call your own dentist and ask them for the information.  Different dentists use different procedures and offer different options.  No one on YA can guess what your dentist will do.

Ask them about the option of nitrous oxide.  It is a mild sedative that you breath in through you nose and can be very helpful to patients who have a lot of anxiety.