What's the best countetop material?

I have a tiny kitchen, about 8'x7', but it's very well designed, and has a worn granite countertop. The problem with a small kitchen is that while cooking it's gets messy very quickly. The other problem is that I didn't take care of the granite so it's badly stained and even special products can't restore it. 

The ideal countertop has these qualities:

- It doesn't stain (or can be easily restored)

- It requires no maintenance (no sealing, no oiling), just normal cleanings 

- You can cut on it

- It can be easily restored if need be

Does anything come close? 

Favorite Answer

I've had a Silestone (quartz) countertop for 17 yrs and it still looks brand new, but I don't cut on it, and It doesn't need special care like granite does.Granite can be cancer causing also  I didn't want it. 

• Tom

I used large, 1 foot square, glazed ceramic tiles. (white) Easy to clean, will not stain.  (But can be cracked if some idiot pounds them with an iron skillet) Cracked tiles can be easily replaced individually though. 

Granite is very popular....

• L

Quartz.  Granite used to be popular but it needs a lot of maintenance and Quartz does not.

• F

I like real wood . Seal it properly on installation and it needs minimal attention once a year. 

If upkeep isn't your thing (not mine either) go with Silestone.  Acrylics can be damaged by chemicals left to contact the surface for long periods.  I had a

chlorine based

bathroom cleaner on the bathroom

counter top

that leaked and left a permanent loss of glossy. 

• garry

granite caused cancer only if  it is a dust , solid granite is polished using water as a medium . get some one in who knows how to clean granite , it need a regrind .

Quartz. Fits all your criteria. Doesn't stain, can be cleaned, doesn't need sealing or special treatment. Next would be finished concrete--(this can look very beautiful--don't scoff). 

Yes, the quartz countertops: Caesarstone, Silestone, Cambria etc etc. There are many now

• "problem is that I didn't take care of the granite so it's badly stained and even special products can't restore it."

you  said  it  yourself … the  next  time  will  be  same  as  the  last  time … you  never  will  take  care  of  the  countertop.  i'd  suggest  getting  some  scrap  linoleum  from  a  salvage  yard … and  bonding  it  to  the  top  of  the  current  countertop.

If I were redoing a kitchen, I'd consider quartz, either natural (strongest and most expensive) or engineered, quartz crystals in high concentration mixed with resin, additional colors, and sometimes bits of reflective minerals to form slabs. Quartz is harder and more impermeable than granite (which I what I have now and don't especially like). Unlike most other materials, it is heat resistant and almost impossible to scorch or scratch.