Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenMaintenance & Repairs · 1 month ago

What should I do with the grass clippings on the yard? ?

I use a small basic side discharge lawn mower because it is easier for me to use, as the bagged briggs and Stratton fwd mower leaves me exhausted.

My lawn now has wads of grass clippings all on it and they are turning brown.

What should I do? Leave them there or rake them up? 

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

Many people rake them up.  I leave them as they return the fertilizer back into the soil for the roots of the live plant.  I cut more often then you so the wads never get that large. and disburse them back into the lawn.   It returns the fiber back to the soil(like bark mulch so keeps the soil loose and like black soil.

• 1 month ago

I'd just leave them there so they can put nutrients back into the soil.

• 1 month ago

First, I agree with Keith, if you mow frequently, even twice a week, you can leave the clippings on the lawn.  Look at city parks and golf courses, they don't pick up clippings.  Right now, rake up those grow strings and get rid of them however is legal where you live.  You can even use them as mulch between shrubs.  In the future, mow often and let them stay. 

• 1 month ago

take them to a compost site

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Mow your lawn more often and there will be less clippings to look unsightly and they will be reabsorbed into the ground more quickly, the worms will do that job and the nitrogen in the clippings will go some way toward re-fertilising your lawn.

• 1 month ago

You should rake them up

• Barry
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

A mulching blade mower is what you need. If you can't fit your mower with this blade maybe you should consider a new mower?

• y
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Rake them up, or once dried. Cut them again, or throw a mulching blade/kit on your mower.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.