Buying a computer without graphics card?

Just wondering if it is worth buying a computer with everything except the graphics card, then fitting one separately. I don't know enough to do a full build myself, but was wondering if its possible/ worth doing to buy everything except a graphics card then buy a graphics card yourself and fit it yourself? Would it save costs and allow you to get a new graphics card cheaper?

Thanks, Ed

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

You are better off watching a few YOUTUBE on building a computer.. They are about a average of 8 to 10 items you need to assemble together. You can Build what you want and SAVE YOURSELF a few hundred dollars and get a good to much better system with BETTER PARTS then if you buy a pre assembled.. MOST PRE BUILT are made with OUTDATED parts and Many cannot be up graded after a couple years. The best is built it yourself with a Good Board to start with, a good CPU and Graphics card. New things are coming out so wait a bit and the prices of what is mid range to top line right now will be dropping fast here within the mest 6 weeks or so.

'

You can build a great system for some games for less than 900 bucks and have a 1400 machine if you pay pre built price for it. Remember.. A Prebuilt is going to cost you a few hundred for someone to spend a couple hours assembling it when you can di it yourself and pay yourself a couple hundred bucks for doing it.

I am actually building my first build, spending about 2 grand but the finished product will be a 3 thousand dollar gaming computer with RGB LIGHTING and a clear glass side case.

• 1 month ago

Yes, you can buy a computer without a graphics card and add it separately.

• 1 month ago

Yes, you could do that, but you gotta figure out of that graphics card supports your motherboard and other things, how much ram do you have, and the CPU, as you don't want a bottleneck (cpu or gpu is too powerful for the other one) if the case is small, I'd recommend a gtx 1650 low profile card.

• 1 month ago

Yes you can buy computer withhout GPU

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

The problem your going to run into is that most big-box mass-produced computers come with low end power supplies that won't support a mid-range or better graphics card. So you'll need to buy a new PSU and install it yourself in order to use a decent graphics card. Further complicating things is that some manufacturers use proprietary PSU sizes/shapes and/or proprietary motherboard connectors, meaning that an off-the-shelf PSU might not work. Finally, some mass-market computers use off-standard cases that may or may not allow a standard sized graphics card to fit.  

Basically, you're going to need to do some homework before deciding on a computer to buy.  Building a computer is not difficult and even for a novice, it should take less than an hour (actual build time) if you're going at a leisurely pace. 

• keerok
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

If there's a built-in VGA port on the motherboard, then you're in luck but if there's no video out at all then how can you test to verify that the computer works? 

• 1 month ago

If you can install a graphics card, that is just about as difficult as building a complete computer from a selection of parts.  Pick those that suit the job, and your budget.  Just be sure that the parts are compatible:

The motherboard supports the CPU chip and the RAM type.  Motherboards come in two types--Intel and AMD.  They come in three sizes--ATX, mini ATX, and micro ATX in decreasing area and number of expansion slots.  All fit regular tower cases.

Some cases are small form factor (narrow, crammed full, cannot use regular cards or power).  Stay away.

The BIOS supports the video card you choose.  There are cards that like only UEFI, or only Legacy.  Some cards can deal with both.

The power supply has to have enough watts to support the video card.  That might not be true if you buy a whole system and install a whomping video card later.  Power units are same shape and size, but some have higher power, and more cable ends.

RAM comes in many capacities and speeds.  The RAM type number (DDR3, 4, 5) fit only in their appropriate type slots on the motherboard you have chosen.  Take care on compatibility.

The other parts like drives, any cooling devices (fans, liquid system), lighting effects are pretty compatible with almost any box setup.

Use a service like pcpartpicker.com to keep compatibility under control.  It is free.

You will have to install the operating system.  You will have to activate warranties on the parts and deal with any failures.  You might enlist a friend who knows computers to lend a hand.

• 1 month ago

I'd do the build. I've got the parts I want and I can open up the case when needed to upgrade, add, or remove parts.

• 1 month ago

All motherboards, have builtin Video. You can add a graphics card later!

• 1 month ago

Make sure the rest of the computer isnt an outdated dinosaur. Things in the computer world become outdated very quickly and you might not end up with a very fast computer if you don't do your research. But fitting a graphics card on would be cheap and easy

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.