Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingTrying to Conceive · 1 month ago

How soon can you take a test? ?

My husband and I just started trying and I’m so excited and impatient. I know most people say to wait 2 weeks after a missed period but is it possible to get a positive test result any sooner? 

• John P

Just be glad that you can take a test fairly early in a hoped-for pregnancy. That was not easily available even 40 years ago.

There's no need to wait two weeks past your expected period date with today's tests.  If you don't start your period the day you expect, take a test.  If it's negative, wait a few days and test again.  If it's more than fourteen days past your expected period and you don't have a period or a positive test, contact your doctor.

If ovulation happened on time, you can get a positive test result on the day you miss the period.  A very sensitive test might even show positive a couple days before the missing period - but don't waste your money because it is only a big MIGHT.  

If ovulation was late, then the positive test would also be late.

When you miss your period, take the first test.  If it is negative, wait for at least five days.  If the period doesn't start, then test again.  Test once every five to seven days until you either get a period or a positive test.

Remember that pregnancy hormones build up in your urine overnight.  The first pee after getting up for the day is going to have the highest concentration of the hormone that the test is looking for.  This will be the most accurate time to test.  Anything else during the day when you have been drinking (diluting the urine) or peeing every few hours (not giving time for enough hormones to deposit into the urine) might be a false negative.

• LizB

Over 90% of women will see a positive on a HPT by 14dpo (which for the average menstrual cycle is the next expected CD1), so not sure who is telling you to wait 2 weeks since that's way longer than you need to wait. Some of the more sensitive tests will even turn up positive before a missed period, depending on how much hCG you metabolize into your urine. With my second baby I got my first faint positive on 10dpo, confirmed by blood test on 12dpo. With my first I didn't test until 14dpo since that's when my blood test was scheduled, but my hCG beta was pretty high so if I had tested with HPTs before that I would have seen positives.

(ETA: the more sensitive tests aren't always the most expensive ones... Dollar Store tests like another person mentioned can often detect lower levels of hCG than the fancy digital HPTs! You can look up test sensitivity by brand.)

• God

Home pregnancy tests cost about a buck at the Dollar Store.  Go buy 10 of them and you are set for awhile.  GOOD LUCK!