carlo asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 3 months ago

The pronunciation of A and B "are"? "is"?

A: The pronunciation of cars and cards "is" different.

B: The pronunciation of cars and cards "are" different.

C: The pronunciation"s" of cars and cards are different.

Which sentence is correct?  I'm not a native speaker of English and have been studying it.  Thanks in advance. 

Update:

Since there are two pronunciations (i.e. one for cars and another for cards), should the subject be plural?

Therefore, I feel that example C is the best but you all say A is accurate.  I'm confused.  Is A really accurate and C wrong?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Zirp
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

The pronunciation of cars and cards is different [from something else]

The pronunciations of cars and cards are different [from eachother].

• 3 months ago

The "pronunciation" IS.

No one would write "the pronunciation's"  because that means "belonging to one pronunciation."

And no one would say "the pronunciations."

But the pronunciation of the "a" in cars and cards is NOT different. 

• Anonymous
    3 months ago

In general, abstract nouns such as 'pronunciation' are singular in English. The subject of the sentence is 'pronunciation', which is followed by a singular verb.  Nouns precede by 'of' are not subjects of verbs.

I note that, in many European languages, it is far more common to come across abstract nouns in the plural.

• 3 months ago

the pronunciation (then a bunch of words that do not affect number of the subject) still equals one pronunciation.  The problem is that the pronunciation of cards is different from the pronunciation of cars, so there are TWO pronunciations, and you should say "the pronunciations are different".   the one thing cannot be different from itself.  It is impossible.  You need two things to have a difference.

Now, if you meant that the pronunciation of cars and cards is identical, but different from something else you do not mention, then you can use a singular subject.

That dog is different (from something else, presumably typical dogs).  those dogs are different (possibly from other dogs but likely from each other).

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 3 months ago

Firstly the subject of the sentence is to be found out.Here "The pronunciation of cars and cards " should be considered as singular number..Your No A. is accurate.

Ex. The colour of the cows grazing in the field is white.

Here stress is put on colour, so there is singular number.

• God
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

A.  Because the subject of the sentence is pronunciation which is singular.  

• Anonymous
    3 months ago

A

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.