Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsGeography · 2 months ago

How do I find out where in West Asia I'm from?

So, I took a DNA ancestry test and my trace ancestry has 0.3% West Asian in it. How do I find out where from West Asia I'm from?

Update:

Edit: It doesn't say where I'm from when I click on the thing

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

You don't. With such a small percent, it just means that a tiny part of your DNA is more like "West Asian" than any other genetic data in their database. Maybe (just maybe) one of your ancestors, going back 8 generations, was a native West Asian.

More likely, some random mix of your genes from your major background, just happened by chance to match a bit of West Asian.  Also, the DNA company doesn't have any records more specific than just "West Asian". I would guess they had to combine samples from Korea, Japan, China, Vietnam, etc, in order to get a meaningful total.

• John P
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

You really don't have much sense of proportion, do you? 0.3% is less than 1 part in 300.

• Zirp
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

you aren't. Those tests don't find your longdeceased ancestors nor your place of origin.

they find your distant cousins that happen to be in the database. you may have some 19th/26th cousins in west-asia

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Look at your birth certificate

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

That's within statistical error. You likely have no West Asian ancestors.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.