What are all the kinds of GAMES?

I asked this question a while back, but no one answered it because it had a typo in the question. I've fixed the typo for all your spelling police.

Like, I know a lot of video games, but its hard to figure out what kinds of games there are, especially if they are games i've never played.

I am making my own game and it's is going to be about all of the different kinds of games that there are. So what are all the kinds of videogames out there? Mario is a jumping game, Forza is a racing game, Fortnite is a fighting game, but what else is there?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

I remember your question before, I didn’t answer it because it’s difficult to really pin down how many kinds of games there are, because there’s so many constantly being made. Each year steam has more games coming out and weirder ones are getting more popular, like a game where you’re a goose and the goal is just to steal things from people’s yards. Also fortnite isn’t a fighting game it’s a shooter, fighting games are like street fighter or mortal kombat. And the genre of games that Mario is part of is called Platformer. There’s also Horror, RPGs and Western RPGs which are very different, Simulators, Twin Stick Shooters, Strategy games, Party games, Card game games and probably way more that I’m not thinking of right now.  

• 1 month ago

You have the internet, don't you? Google "types of video games" and you'll find out everything you could ever want to know. Like this article: https://www.idtech.com/blog/different-types-of-vid...

Which breaks games down into 9 types: 

Action games

Action-adventure games

Adventure games

Role-playing games

Simulation games

Strategy games

Sports games

Puzzle games

Idle games

And then breaks each type down further, like Action games being platformer, shooter, fighting, stealth or survival, or Role-playing games being MMORPG, roguelikes, tactical, sandbox, etc. 

Or there's this article: https://www.tomsguide.com/us/gaming-glossary,news-...

Which categorizes games as Action, FPS, God game, Indie game, JRPG, MOBA, MMO, point-and-click (which I've seen called a HOPA for "Hidden Object Puzzle Adventure"), RPG, RTS, TBS and 3rd person shooter. (Definitions are in the article.)

• what else,  are you kidding me? lolz...

Elite dangerous              MMORPG  4x   sim fps  rpg  

Civillization            tbs 

Forza H4                           crap open world arcade racer

Forza Motorsport 7                          simcade

Assetto Corsa Comp                     Racing Simulator

assassins creed                              RPG

Hitman                                    stealth em up

cuphead                           platformer

Efootball PES Madden AO tennis etc                                 (sports simulators)

final fantasy                                   RPG

Microsoft flight simulator    Flight simulator  (obviously)

Battlefield/COD                                FPS

Command & Conquer                        RTS

Arma 3                                   Military Simulator

etc etc etc etc.....why don't you google and find out yourself,  it's really not that difficult..

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.