$1000 PC setup?

Should I wait? I'm pretty new to building computers, but I know that geforce is about to release a new line and it's a game changer (geforce 3080 I think?).  Should I wait for its release to see if other cards drop in price in response?  I've also been considering websites like ibuypower.  What are your thoughts? 

If $1000 is your overall budget for a PC then the RTX 3080 is going to outside of your pricerange. The Founder's Edition model is $700 which would only leave you $300 for the rest of the components. On top of that, you will need a good 650w power supply for the RTX 3080 which will cost nearly $100 so that would leave you with roughly $200 for the CPU, motherboard, RAM, case, and storage drives. You'd be able to afford an RTX 3070 in the budget you specified.

The current RTX 20 series cards have been discontinued so the only way to pick one up at a discount is to buy a used card. Nvidia is all against seeing their older cards being cut in price.

There isn't always something new coming out like yesteryear. Nvidia updates their Graphics card lineup every 2 years. Intel and AMD update their CPU lineup every 14-16 months. This isn't like the late 1990's or early 2000's when companies had better command of getting performance increases out of silicon wafers. Back then you could have built an expensive $5000 computer that would become too slow after 4-5 years. 

I'd say wait for Black Friday. By then the new tech will be out.

• P

The RTX 3080 is a game changer.  I would do what you need to do to get a RTX 3070 when they are in stock.  The others will drop, but it could take 6 months or so for them to really drop since the RTX 3000 series will be out of stock for awhile.  ibuypower is fantastic to configure things, but you can often find better deals if you look in the crypts of Amazon, Newegg, and Microcenter.

My thoughts are that when it comes to computers and electronics in general: 

Whether buying or building a computer: By the time you are done researching, make up your mind and finally pull the trigger, there will ALWAYS be something newer, bigger, better and faster fixing to hit the market.

I don't know your budget, needs or wants so the Choice is yours. (but if you keep waiting for the next Gen, you will never build or buy)