Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelUnited StatesOther - United States · 1 month ago

Are Delaware, Maryland, Oklahoma and Texas considered to be southern states?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

By the traditional definition, yes, all 4 are.  

Texas is rather large and geographically crosses over to the Southwest as well, but it is typically considered part of the South.  Maryland and Delaware are both below the Mason-Dixon line as well so technically in the South, but they are more North based on current political and cultural attitudes.

• John P
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Presumably you mean in political and social senses, not the geographical sense.

On a map, Maryland and Delaware are not in the southern part of mainland USA.

• 1 month ago

East South Central States

• 1 month ago

Delaware, Maryland & Oklahoma, no. Texas is kind of iffy.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Sounds as if you are looking at the US Census Bureau's regional definitions which are, frankly, poorly aligned. Sad, too, because the US Census Bureau does great work in its counting methodologies. Actually, those states that you list are part of the reason the Bureau needs to revamp its regional definitions, although in this politically charged climate, I doubt any movement would occur. 

Culturally, in today's world, I believe Delaware and Maryland are more Mid-Atlantic than "Southern". I would also say that Texas and Oklahoma ought to be reclassified as Southwestern (that means creating another region with Texas, Oklahoma, New Mexico and Arizona) as they were essentially frontier areas even after the end of the Civil War and culturally have more in common with those other 2 states of New Mexico and Arizona. 

For what it's worth, I would redefine the West Coast with states of California, Oregon, Washington, Alaska and Hawaii as the Pacific Region. I would consider having the states of North and South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas, Missouri, Iowa and Minnesota classified as Plains (or some other descriptive term) states as they really don't resemble states like Michigan or Ohio which truly are Midwest. The rest of the internal states would be classified (Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, Colorado, Nevada, and Utah) as Intermountain West. 

There are some who argue, and with good reason due to size alone and their impacts, that California, Texas and Florida should be considered as both states and their own regions with populations of 40 million, 30 million and 21 million, respectively. All 3 of those states have vast numbers of transplants and immigrants creating something of their own cultures. Of course, that would call for a serious reorganization of the regions in the US. 

• 1 month ago

The US "South" generally refers to the 11 states of the Confederacy: Florida, Georgia, S Carolina, N Carolina, Virginia, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Texas, Tennessee, and Arkansas.  Some people also include Delaware, Maryland, Kentucky, and Missouri: these were slave states that stayed with the USA.  Also, part of Virginia broke off and became a US state during the war: it is now known as West Virginia.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Oklahoma and Texas are definitely in the South region.  Not really Southwest or Southeast, but definitely in the South!  I consider Maryland and Delaware to be more in the northeast, as one of my atlases includes them in the northeast and everything below Virginia to be in the southeast, but they are in the mid Atlantic and it could go either way depending on who you talk to.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Delaware and Maryland aren't.

• 1 month ago

Only Oklahoma is.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.