Goerge
Goerge asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 1 week ago

When was the last time you bought a roast?

I was thinking about people who live alone and how they shop. I recently bought a Boston butt roast for us but then I got to thinking do those that live alone avoid big roasts like that and brisket. The same questions applies to racks of beef or pork ribs. 

@Audrey. We do sometimes portion out the roast and make it into chops or larger cuts for pulled pork. They however don't cook up like traditional chops and seem to like to be slightly undercooked(pink is good in our eyes).

@Bill Agreed. Value packs are less expensive than their single-serve counterparts which is part of why I asked this question. But, like you said, the freezer is our friend. Idk about those with a dorm size fridge/freezer. 

Why do you bother John? Hm...

kswck2's Your attitude belies your argument because it's full of negativity and fabrications. Those are NOT the attributes of a "trained chef" unless. As a lifelong cook who has even had the opportunity to serve Jimmy carter, Sen. Kay Baley Hutchinson, Lance Armstrong(liar), Robin Williams and so many other VIP's and regular folk like you and I, I have lived in the back of the house long enough to know kinfolk and you aren't nor are you a "trained chef" maybe got trained by one but....

• bill
    1 week ago
    Favorite Answer

Freezer bags and tupperware are a bachelor's friend . At grocery stores value packs are the way to go so you buy 5 pounds of chicken wings on sale,have one meal and freeze the rest in batches.

Or you make chile and freeze the rest in containers.

• 6 days ago

It's probably been a couple of weeks.

I don't typically "roast" a roast, I usually get beef chuck roast and braise it for say...barbacoa or green chili beef.  For pork I typically get pork shoulder roast and braise it for plan pulled pork or carnitas.

As a single person who lives alone I often cook big and freeze one to two serving portions for future meals.  I love to cook and am good at it, by making meals ahead I always have something yummy for nights I don't want to full on cook.

• 1 week ago

Very very long time 

• During the winter months I'll buy a smaller beef roast and get 1-2 nights of leftovers from it.

• 1 week ago

Big roasts CAN be cut into small roasts or individual meal portions.  I bought a 6 pound standing rib roast on sale that I cut up into four small roasts that will serve two people each.  Had it been boneless, it would be easy to slice into single-portion steaks, but with the bone, a single person could make themselves a beautiful prime rib for dinner and use the leftover meat for beef stroganoff or soup.

I routinely buy whole boneless pork loins when they are on sale, averaging 9-10 pounds. I cut off the two ends for small roasts or pulled pork and the center area becomes chops.

• denise
    1 week ago

I last bought a brisket to roast 3 weeks ago and I bought a pork loin joint to roast on Saturday 12th Sept.

1 week ago

I belong to a meat share at a local farm. My last two orders contained small roasts, a little under 3 pounds. 

• 1 week ago

people 'live' alone? where?

those old days are over roads have been built for generatuons, the shutins are all locked away in asylums, the forests are cleared wild animals are dead.

you cant walk any distance at all without seeing another person.

I doubt your going to find anyone "living" alone nowadays.

have you thought where that "roast" comes from?

just what "meat" are you looking at? 

animals are all dead and the "artifical meat" experiments failed.

goerge why are you retarded?

• kswck2
    1 week ago

Cooking for ONE is actually Very difficult. Corned beef and cabbage for ONE give you 5 days of leftovers-corned beef hash, etc. . Roast beef is at Least 3 days. 

Now, I am a trained chef, so I can buy a large roast, cook it and pull out my meat slicer for roast beef sandwiches for a few days. And then make soup from whatever is left over. But Most people just do not have that kind of equipment at home. Pulled pork in a crockpot is 4-5 days of leftovers too.  

• 1 week ago

I buy them whenever they are on sale and I have freezer space. Some get cut to a more reasonable size for one person; some get cut into chunks for stews, boeuf carbonade, boeuf bourgonoinne, soups, and the like; some get cut into strips for stir-fries; some wind up shredded for hot sandwiches; and, if there are bones, my dogs rejoice.

• CB
    1 week ago

I cook 3-4 whole boston butts at a time in my smoker, shred and put in 1 gallon freezer bags and freeze - only have to do  this about once a year to have pulled pork to giveaway, bring out for bbq dinners when people come over etc.  Ribs I like to do fresh but they do freeze well after being smoked.