BlackAndBlue asked in PetsFish · 2 months ago

Guppy illness, fin, spine?

Hi

A few days ago I noticed my female guppy has a fin that is frayed (excuse my English, it's not my first language)

She also is now way more skinny and her tail is in a weird position(like as if her spine is bent, before it also was like this but I never noticed it). I thought the skinny part is because maybe she was pregnant and I had some new fries yesterday and four weeks ago but now I am really concerned. I am new to fish keeping and have had her for two months now. None of my other fish have had any illnesses or died till now. She still eats normal but she often stays at the back, behind plants which she never did before. Also she is way more calm now, she was one of my most active fish and always swam to the front when I came, now she hides much more.

Can someone please tell me if she is ill or if she can be cured or what the causes are?? Thanks a lot and have a nice day!

(Also the first picture is how she used to look two weeks ago and the second picture is how her fin and spine now looks) 

• Ocimom

Looks like other fish are chasing her and biting her.  How large is the tank?  How may other fish and what kind?  We need more information to help you.

I think your guppy is getting old.

I don't see much difference.  If it is eating and swimming ok, no worries.  if it has bent spine disease, there is not really anything you can do.  Keep it in the tank until and unless the other fish are attacking her, "sometimes healthy fish will attack sick fish instinctively" or if it stops eating, in which case, humane euthanasia may be the most humane thing to do.  I had a fish live with bent spine disease for about a year.  I eventually did have to euthanize him, he could not eat anymore RSVP Gazpacho!

• kswck2

Sounds like she may be getting intimidated by the other fish. They may be nipping at her tail. What other fish are in the tank and do they get along? 

i would ask a vet about it

i would ask a vet about it