XD asked in Cars & TransportationMotorcycles · 1 month ago

1974 Honda cb 125s gas tank ?

Hello I’m restoring a 1974 Honda cb 125s and the gas tank is rusted out. A lot of the amazon and eBay gas tanks are to long. Anyone have any advice , ?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Check with your nearest motorcycle salvage yard. If they don't have, they could find. They have a network just like car and truck parts.

It's how I got a headlight bucket for a '74 CL360 years ago.

• 1 month ago

Do the pebble thing and if the holes are not to big there's a product called Kreem.

• 1 month ago

Pour a pint of rough gravel into the tank and shake the hell out of it with the top closed. That will grind the rust loose. You might want to take a few breaks during this job. Before you start shaking, remove the petcock and stuff the hole with a  rubber plug. You can blow out the rust with compressed air, then rinse out the tank a few times with kerosine until no more rust shows. If the tank has holes in it, start calling cycle salvage yards for a used one.

• adam
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

hard to find. I looked at a few sites I use for early model motorcycles. You might want to have a machine shop replicate that stock tank. Or perhaps it can be saved if you find someone who can do metal work. Not fiberglass, actual cut out rusted sections and replace with metal. It can be done. 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • CB
    Lv 7
    1 month ago
  • Tim D
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Search for an owner's club. They may know if the tank was used by any other model.

• 1 month ago

Get a custom tank made, your choice of steel or aluminum.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.