How do I teach my 2 year old to go to the toilet ?

My Son is 27 months just over 2 years and has started nursery, I want him to start using the loo when he needs to go pee and poo. He can say 3-4 words at a time and is very self aware and aware of surroundings. He can also communicate when he wants something and he can also explain things so I'm just confused as to why he does not tell us he needs to go toilet or use the toilet so we can mount him on the toilet seat of course with the toddler seat attached but he just sits there sometimes we wont even tell us and would rather walk around with a dirty nappy.

Any help is much appreciated ! 

We read potty training books and prepared him mentally...Then took him with him everytime we went to the bathroom so he thinks its normal...and then we rewarded him with stickers and praises as soon as he would start sitting on the pot. 

as soon as they start walking you can put them on their own toilet seat, just to hang out and get a feel of it. 3 minutes a few times a day. It's not as difficult as some people make it out to be. Play a game, sing a special song he likes, only to sing on the potty. when he's ready to go, he might start singing it. Patience and fun.

pick him up and help him pee or sit him down on the toilet

He isn't ready. This isn't like kicking a ball. That can be taught. You can't really teach someone to feel that they need to go to the bathroom. That happens naturally, on THEIR body's terms. You can teach them to tell you, but if they can't tell that they have to go, or even that they are going, it isn't going to work and that will make it worse for both of you.

I wasn't potty-trained until I was three. It isn't that they didn't try to teach me, it was that my brain physically couldn't make the connection yet. It sounds similar for your son. Remember, he isn't going to be in diapers forever. Just suck it up for now until he is ready and then you can try again. It 

He isn't ready.  You can't teach what his body doesn't yet do.  He needs to be developmentally ready, his bladder needs to be mature, etc. 

He doesn't have any connection yet between the sensation of needing to pee or poo, and the ability to say, "I need to pee/poo" or thinking to himself "I need to get to the potty before I pee/poo".

He isn't ready.

He's still very young to have the combined awareness/muscle control/interest level for potty training. There are a lot of things that have to be working well for toilet training to happen, it's pretty complex when you think about it. You'll have to get more involved than just expecting him to tell you when he needs to go... if he's happy to go to the toilet, then try setting an alarm for every couple of hours and making a regular trip to the loo. Having the toilet more accessible for him could also help... instead of having to be picked up and put on the toilet, get him a stool or a child-sized potty so he can be more independent. 

• ?

I am a mum and grandma - it is very hard to potty train them when they go to nursery because you need to spend all day asking them if they need a pee or poo and sit them on the potty and you get to know roughly what time they poo every day so you sit them on the potty and wait till they poo but the nursery doesn't have time to do this and just wait for them to tell them nappy is dirty. I would buy a musical potty for the home and home he knows if he pees it will play a tune. If you were a stay at home mum it would take around a month of daily training to get him out of nappies, Good Luck