What’s the best thing to eat ?

I’m just getting over what I can only think was some gastric flu, basically aches, nausea, chronic diarrhoea and just feeling absolutely exhausted. I spent all day in bed yesterday, some of Wednesday and Tuesday is pretty much when it really came on. I’m starting to feel a bit better now after loads of sleep and fluids. I fancy something to eat today to get some strength again, would fish fingers and mash be ok to eat do you think, or a homemade beef stew? My husband is going to make some. Would either of these meals be ok or should I avoid and have just dry toast? 

Favorite Answer

Always start with dry toast or a very basic cracker and continue the liquid.  IF the toasts doesn't start things up again, you can try a little apple sauce, a banana, or some steamed rice.  This is called the BRAT diet  BRAT stands for Bananas, Rice, Applesauce and Toast. These particular foods are ideal because of their blandness and because they’re easy to digest. Plus, their high starch content will help bind your stool together, which may reduce bouts of continued diarrhea. BRAT foods are considered low-residual, meaning they stay in your stomach for less time. You can also try a little yogurt or a mild soup/broth.

I know it doesn't sound very tastily, but it is the best way to see if your stomach and GI tract are ready to handle solid food.  Do this for a day and, if things go well, you an try fish fingers tomorrow.  Protein, like fish and beef, are really hard to digest and not a good "first food" have a a 3-day bout of diarrhea.

They tell parents to feed their kids the BRAT diet when they are ill like that - bananas, rice, applesauce and toast.

eat a fruit and vegetables and milk